PostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

Re: ostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Postby ptrack pat » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:44 pm

Did you change the account domain field? You need to leave everything set to the default values. The only thing you should be entering is a password when prompted.
ptrack pat

Postby chadsdavis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:36 am

I still can't get this to work right.
I have only PTO purchased and registered, and have PT3 beta 15 trial/Postgres SQL 8.3 downloaded and installed.

When I go to this link: http://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT ... InstallSQL

It shows this:
After PostgreSQL is installed:

In Poker Tracker, open the Utilities/PostgreSQL Settings window and enter your user name and password information. (NOTE: the user name, if you used the default will be "postgres"). The next step would be to convert your Access database(s) to PostgreSQL, use the Utilities/Convert Database option for this purpose.
After the conversion is done, go to the File/Maintain Database Names window and make the new PostgreSQL database the default database by checking the "Dflt" box next to the name. Click OK to save this change and then close and reopen Poker Tracker.
If you are importing observed hands for Party or Full Tilt, you need to change the configuration so that observed hands will be going to the new PostgreSQL database as well. Open the Party or Full Tilt auto-import window, click on the Observed Hands tab. Click the "..." button next to the "What database should these hands be imported into" field and select the new PostgreSQL database from the list.
Lastly, it would be a good idea if you were to use the "Compress" button on the Utilities/PostgreSQL Database Functions window to run a "Vacuum/Analyze" on the new PostgreSQL database. This will help speed up the queries. It would also probably be a good time to use the backup function of this window to backup your newly created PostgreSQL database. Backing up the database is something you should continue to do on a regular basis!!
Please Note
The conversion process could take a while depending on the size of your Access database. My database of 130,000 hands took about 2 hrs. 20 minutes to convert so please be prepared for this.

However what the underlined/highlighted part doesn't cover is the fact that you can't go on to step 2 because PTO doesn't let you succefully save your user name and password PostgreSQL info because it continues to ask you to "enter an ODBC entry from the dropdown form" although there are no options in the drop down form and it won't let you type anything in.
I am about to go crazy with this.
I can't keep deleting and reinstalling all these programs.

What can you do for PTO in this case? Will it mess anything up to try and "convert database" in the utilities tab on PTO before you enter your PostgresSQL info?

Please help.

Chad
chadsdavis

Postby ptrack pat » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:55 am

Do you have any data in the PT3 db yet? Did you uninstall PostgreSQL 8.3 and then reinstall it and run the StackBuilder program as was detailed in the second post of this thread? If you ran the StackBuilder program you should be seeing some entries to select from in the ODBC field.
ptrack pat

Postby chadsdavis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:55 pm

Ok...
I removed PT3 and the PostgresSQL....
I removed the remnants from the program files of PostgresSQL...

I downloaded the PostgresSQL 8.3 from the link you provided at the beginning of this thread.
I extracted all the files into a seperate folder.

Now it doesn't show a postgresql -8.3.msi to choose to install....I have a postgresql-8.3 (157kb) or a postgresql-8.3-int (23,888kb) to chose from???

I am guessing you choose the (157kb) file for installation?

When I do I get to a service configuration screen but when I try to enter a password it says : "Invalid Username Specified: Login failure: unknown username or bad password."

What now?
chadsdavis

Postby chadsdavis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:07 pm

Also the fields are auto filled out for me as the following on this screen:

Install as service box is checked
Screenname: PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3
Accountname: postgres
Account Domain: Chad-PC
Account Password: Blank
Verify Password: Blank

It then says at button os pop up window:
The service account is the account that runs the PostgreSQL database server. If you have not already created an account, the installer can do so for you. Enter an account name and a password, or leave the password blank to have one auto-generated.

It then has a back-next-cancel button....

Everytime I try to enter a password and verify it and click next I get the same error message listed above.
Thanks
Chad
chadsdavis

Postby ptrack pat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:02 pm

From the Start menu select Run.
On the next window type COMMAND and hit OK, this will open a DOS window.
Enter the following text...

net user postgres /delete

and hit ENTER.
Then type EXIT to close the DOS window.

Reinstall PostgreSQL.
ptrack pat

Postby chadsdavis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:12 pm

ok now i got through that screen....now I am at:
Initialise database cluster
Do I want the "IDC" box checked?

Is asking for a seperate password, and when I enter one it says:

The 'secondary logon' service is not running. This service is required for the installer to initialize the database. Please start this service and try again.

What now?

Any way this whole process could be broken down step by step instead of just "reinstall postgreSQL"???
You are dealing with a very ignorant computer user here.
I feel like a garbage man trying to perform a heart bypass surgery.

And my patient is in deep trouble!!!!

Chad
chadsdavis

Postby chadsdavis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:14 pm

Also on this screen it asks me for Locale, Encoding Server, client, and superuser name....
Leave them all as they are set up automatically?
Chad
chadsdavis

Postby ptrack pat » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:16 pm

Yes, the "initialize database cluster" box needs to be checked.

Everything should be left at the default values. The only thing you should have to do is enter a password on 2 different windows when prompted and just keep clicking NEXT.

If you still get the secondary logon services problem them go to the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services window.

Find Secondary Logon in the list. Right-click on it and select "Start".
ptrack pat

Postby chadsdavis » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:21 pm

Im using Vista...
Under Control Panel...>There is no option for Administrative Tools anywhere to be found.
Chad
chadsdavis

PreviousNext

Return to PostgreSQL Forum