CREATE TABLESPACE spare_disk LOCATION 'F:\\pg_data';

without the ; it just moves to the next line

messed around with a few ' and got

2008-12-11 23:20:28 GMT ERROR: syntax error at or near "`" at character 39
2008-12-11 23:20:28 GMT STATEMENT: CREATE TABLESPACE spare_disk LOCATION `F:
CREATE TABLESPACE spare_disk LOCATION `F:
CREATE TABLESPACE spare_disk LOCATION F:
CREATE DATABASE pt3_newdb TABLESPACE spare_disk;
2008-12-11 23:20:45 GMT LOG: loaded library "$libdir/plugins/plugin_debugger.dll"
2008-12-11 23:20:45 GMT FATAL: database "pt3_newdb" does not exist

theres something wrong with the line

CREATE TABLESPACE spare_disk LOCATION 'F:\\pg_data';

I've also realised for the last part its

schema.postgres.sql

theres some typos in whats listed
bobbydavro

Re: PT3 performance tuning 2 HDDs

Postby kraada » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:53 am

Try this command:

CREATE TABLESPACE spare_disk LOCATION 'F:/pg_data';

Also just to double check you do have a pg_data directory already created in the right location and it is entirely empty right?

(I also corrected those typos; I'm sorry about that.)
kraada

Postby pr1mo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:26 am

i installed newest postgres 8.3.5.2 from postgres.com and when i was installing it asks for directory where you would like the data folder. have they made it possible now so all i have to do is select my spare drive for my postgres data dir this way and it will work with these speed increases you've stated in this thread? i installed main postgres into c:\ and then put data directory in d:\
pr1mo

Postby pr1mo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:29 am

nevermind i just looked into the folder on my second drive and it installed the pg_log and all the pg_ directories so im' guessing this doesn't work.
pr1mo

Postby kraada » Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:36 pm

The reason for using a tablespace is that it writes the logs not in the data directory. You can keep the logs in the data directory if you'd like, but performance gains won't be as large as if you had used the tablespace method. If the goal with the second drive was mostly additional space and you're happy with performance, that will work fine.
kraada

Postby Bangwhiz » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:37 am

FAQ says:

"If you are running Windows XP, you will need to make sure Simple File Sharing is turned off. To turn off Simple File Sharing, double click on "My Computer" on your desktop or start menu. From the menu bar choose Tools --> Folder Options. Click on the "View" tab and make sure the "Use Simple File Sharing" box is not checked. Click ok and you can close these windows."

I am running XP SP3 and there is no check box under my computer-tools-folder options-view for "Use Simple File Sharing." What gives? :?: I want to run PT3 on 2 drives and I had huge problems installing performance tuning. Don't want problems with putting PT3 and/or Postgres on 2 HDD's. Awful lot of issues posted in this thread - don't know why, but I would like to avoid problems. I am installing PT3 now, got the performance tuning improvements done, although I may have lost all my old data, and I want to get this done while DB is empty. Thanks, Tom
Bangwhiz

Postby Bangwhiz » Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:46 pm

The check box for simple file sharing does not display as described in XP Home version. Here is how to turn off simple file sharing with XP Home version: http://www.wikihow.com/Disable-Simple-F ... me-Edition

Here's why it is different:

"Windows XP Home Edition was not designed for high security networking. It was designed for standalone workstations and home based Workgroup configurations.Fear not, there is a way around this (even if it is tedious).

See above link for procedure.

Tom
Bangwhiz

Postby kraada » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:22 am

Tom,

Thanks for clearing that up, I'll edit the FAQ so that others won't have the same problem you ran into.
kraada

Postby pr1mo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm

i set this up on a few different computers and everything has been working great and fast and i've followed everything as instructed and when i go to create a report with a custom stat it's not working, it will stay at loading... for many days and then when i ctrl-alt-del pt3 and hit restart server it attempts to stop postgres but it says there is an error and it can't be stopped and then it says started successfully and then i click restart server again and then it stops and starts properly. before i start pt3 and attempt to run the reports i make sure postgres is working by doing restart server and it works. so this looks like there is a problem with postgres and it crash's or something screws up while it's creating the report because it can't stop properly after i close pt3. it was creating the same report with built in pt3 stats fine, and also a few custom stats that aren't big variations from built in stats, but very specific usually longer to make reports from stats that take awhile it doesnt work. i'm not sure if there is a fix to this or if anything can be done, i think i'll just export out all my hands and import into another db with just using the enterprize tuning wizard as the only custom settings and then have the data folder on another hard drive because that worked fine before. i'm using beta 23 + xp. also creating the reports worked correctly on one of my databases that had 40,000 players but not on one of my databases with 145k players or another one with more than 145k players.
pr1mo

Postby pr1mo » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:53 pm

The PostgreSQL Server 8.3 service is stopping.......
The PostgreSQL Server 8.3 service could not be stopped.

The requested service has already been started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 2182.
The restart command returned an error <2>

Press <return> to continue....

so this is what came up, it says "The requested service has already been started." because it is unsuccessful in stopping so it stays started and then it tries to start it while it's already started.

on one of my other computers it says NET HELPMSG 2189
pr1mo

PreviousNext

Return to General [Read Only]