Multiple Databases?

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Multiple Databases?

Postby pokerrow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:01 pm

In PT2, I have a database for my play and another database for mined hands. Every million hands or so, I swap out data mining databases, mostly because the mined data is now a bit stale, but also because I don't want my mined databases getting too big, and I wasn't sure whether PAHUD cache likes many different databases feeding into it. My main point is It makes a huge difference when I am doing PT reviews, only having PT need to worry about my hands.

I've only put my played hands into PT3. I know that PT3 can handle much larger databases than PT2, but is there still merit in having separate databases for data mining and actual play?

I'm guessing that the HUD will prefer a single database, but not sure how much difference it would make. For reviewing my own play, how much difference will having millions of mined hands in the database make, do you think?

If I keep one database for everything, will it be pretty easy to purge hands say older than a year that I was not in?
pokerrow

Re: Multiple Databases?

Postby APerfect10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:25 pm

We recommend a maximum of two databases. One for played hands and one for observed hands which will allow you to occasionally clean out old observed hands that are no longer needed.

I suggest reading the "Database Management & Maintenance Guide" located under our [url=http://www.pokertracker3.com/products/PT3/docs/kr1]PokerTracker Documentation[/urlkr1].

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby pokerrow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:21 pm

Doh! Definitely should have gone through all the doc you guys produced before asking that question. Sorry!
pokerrow

Postby Oakrdrzfan » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I read the guideline. What is the downside to 4 databases as opposed to two? I was thinking of this

one for my NL hands
one for my NL data mining
one for my limit hands
one for my limit data mining
Oakrdrzfan

Postby pokerrow » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:05 pm

Also, the documentation implies it might be a good idea to have one DB per site you observe, which would mean more than 2 DB's.
pokerrow

Postby APerfect10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:06 pm

[quote="Oakrdrzfan"80u]I read the guideline. What is the downside to 4 databases as opposed to two? I was thinking of this

one for my NL hands
one for my NL data mining
one for my limit hands
one for my limit data mining[/quote80u]

Performance wise, none if you are not using a HUD. When using a HUD, the more databases that you use the slower stat retrieval will be due to having to connect to each of the different databases. Of course you could limit the HUD to only use one or two of them (or we may have the option to use different databases depending on the game type).

It is just much easier to use one database then filter on it for the different hands/limit rather than having hands scattered across multiple databases. We deal with an alarming amount of support issues where the main cause is simply having too many databases.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby random » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:02 pm

[quote="pokerrow"k16]If I keep one database for everything, will it be pretty easy to purge hands say older than a year that I was not in?[/quotek16]

Will this be possible?

Or maybe delete all but last 100k hands in Observed db? Or will it be necessary to purge whole db and start from zero?
random

Postby APerfect10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:14 pm

[quote="random"4gy][quote="pokerrow"4gy]If I keep one database for everything, will it be pretty easy to purge hands say older than a year that I was not in?[/quote4gy]

Will this be possible?

Or maybe delete all but last 100k hands in Observed db? Or will it be necessary to purge whole db and start from zero?[/quote4gy]

We will have advanced deleting options which will be available in a beta release soon. You will be able to purge whatever hands you like. No need to start a completely new database :)

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Postby numbnuts007 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:18 pm

[quote="APerfect10"5x8][quote="random"5x8][quote="pokerrow"5x8]If I keep one database for everything, will it be pretty easy to purge hands say older than a year that I was not in?[/quote5x8]

Will this be possible?

Or maybe delete all but last 100k hands in Observed db? Or will it be necessary to purge whole db and start from zero?[/quote5x8]

We will have advanced deleting options which will be available in a beta release soon. You will be able to purge whatever hands you like. No need to start a completely new database :)

Best regards,

Derek[/quote5x8]

Will this include some way to split up our played and observed histories into two databases if they are all crammed together in one db atm?
numbnuts007

Postby APerfect10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:20 pm

[quote="numbnuts007"a9w]Will this include some way to split up our played and observed histories into two databases if they are all crammed together in one db atm?[/quotea9w]

I would like to implement this. I know this isnt available in PT2 and is needed quite often :)

-AP10
APerfect10
Site Admin

Next

Return to General [Read Only]