Clustering vs defragging - same thing?

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Clustering vs defragging - same thing?

Postby Starman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:50 pm

Just wondering: I've just vacuum/analysed my db and defragged (only) my PostgreSQL folder. Do I still need to cluster? Also, does making the PostgreSQL folder contiguous have much effect on performance? Tx
Starman

Re: Clustering vs defragging - same thing?

Postby kraada » Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:09 pm

So long as you have PT3 up to date, we do not recommend clustering routinely at this time. It would still help, but it will not help enough to offset the amount of time put into the clustering, and hence is not worth the effort. Vacuuming and analyzing are quite useful, and keeping your cache at 100% is essential. Defragging the disk will provide some small performance improvements, but it depends on your system whether it will be that noticeable.
kraada

Postby Starman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:12 pm

kraada wrote:So long as you have PT3 up to date, we do not recommend clustering routinely at this time.

Well, your db management guide does - every 50k hands, in fact. Are you saying that's unnecessary if I auto-import and my cache is at 100%?
Starman

Postby kraada » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:25 pm

Which guide still has those recommendations? I'll make sure we get that fixed - if your cache is up to date, and you vacuum/analyze regularly, you do not need to worry about clustering at this point.
kraada

Postby Starman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:36 pm

kraada wrote:Which guide still has those recommendations? I'll make sure we get that fixed - if your cache is up to date, and you vacuum/analyze regularly, you do not need to worry about clustering at this point.

http://www.pokertracker.com/products/PT3/docs/PokerTracker3_Database_Management_Guide.pdf
Starman

Postby kraada » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:43 pm

I'll notify the appropriate person to get that fixed.
kraada

Return to General [Read Only]