Display All-in EV never worsk for PT3??

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Display All-in EV never worsk for PT3??

Postby zubs1aa » Mon May 02, 2011 9:21 am

kraada wrote:
PJs Ronin wrote:Yes, that is exactly what I want to know... but only on players WHO GET TO SHOWDOWN. If a villain doesn't go to showdown then what he had doesn't matter.

I think the bolded piece is the crux of the problem. I disagree with that statement. Instead I accept this: If a villain had folded prior to or when facing my all-in bet (or raise), what he had doesn't matter.

I firmly believe that cards which called my all-in matter to my results.

Another hand example comes to mind:

We have JTs, we're in a multi-table tournament well away from the money. Due to a series of unfortunate events, we have an M of roughly 10 and a fairly bad table where the three other relevant stacks in this hand are at least three times deeper than we are. A loose weak player limps in from middle position and it's folded to us on the button. The blinds are tight and we don't expect they'll get involved much so we raise. Surprisingly both blinds and the limper call. The flop is T42 rainbow and it's checked to us. We push all-in for a little less than the size of the pot. Everyone calls. The turn is a T. The blinds check, the limper shoves. The blinds fold. The limper turns up T9o and our hand holds.

Now, your position as I understand it - and please correct me if I'm wrong - is that you don't care at all about the folded cards, and you want in this hand your EV to be around 85% because you were way ahead of T9.

Here's how I see it. All-in EV is supposed to tell us if once we'd gone in, the situation had been run an infinite number of times, what our result should be per hand. All-in EV is supposed to tell us what would have happened if the same thing had come up enough times that luck had been completely evened out.

But we got all in on the flop when there were other people. If the turn had not been a T, things could have played out very differently. If this exact situation happened over and over unless both blinds held AA, we could expect an ace to appear between between 2.2% and 8.8% (depending on how many aces they held). Do you really think in this situation - with everyone in on the turn given the prior action - an ace doesn't change the result? What about a king? A queen?

The way the board actually ran out led to people folding. Had the board run out differently, the same people may not have folded. Therefore, we can't calculate your hypothetical EV because we can't figure out what would have happened in those other cases when the board did run out differently.

Kraada-

I can't say you are wrong. Theoretically you are right.

But, PJ and I are saying that we would prefer a limited stat (excluding those) or a slightly erroneous one where they are included, over nothing.

Also, I think you need to look at a sample of 100,000 MTT and 100,000 SNG hands and let us know what % were allins that went to showdown and what % were allins that fit the 3way/ hero was the shortstack situation (and how often someone got bet out as a subset). That would let people give informed opinions on the relative frequency of these occurrences to make a more informed debate.

In the alternate, lay out the filtering or additional stats we'd need to apply this to our own DB's and we can quantify this ourselves. Without the quantification this argument will go in circles.
zubs1aa

Postby zubs1aa » Mon May 02, 2011 9:33 am

FWIW I skimmed my 2010 DB of MTT and SNG

240k hands

15,453 where: Me raising allin on any street and went to showdown OR me calling allin on any street

That's roughly 6% of hands were allin.

What I don't know how to filter for is where there were more than 2 allins and a smaller number reaching the river.
zubs1aa

Postby kraada » Mon May 02, 2011 9:40 am

That's not an easy query but I'll try to get it built today and get back to you.
kraada

Postby zubs1aa » Mon May 02, 2011 9:41 am

kraada wrote:That's not an easy query but I'll try to get it built today and get back to you.

Thanks, plz include PJ as he's the one most concerned with this one. I'm just trying to be moderate and mediate a bit ;)
zubs1aa

Postby kraada » Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 am

Can either or both of you run this query against your database?

SELECT count(thhps.id_hand) from tourney_holdem_hand_player_statistics thhps WHERE thhps.enum_face_allin_action NOT SIMILAR TO '(N|F)' and not(flg_showdown);

That should tell us how many hands there were in which someone faced an all-in and did something other than fold (enum_face_allin_action is the action the player took when facing the all-in - N is none, F is fold) and yet the player didn't get to showdown (which means he had to fold to someone else's action).

Compare that to the results from:

SELECT count(thhps.id_hand) from tourney_holdem_hand_player_statistics thhps WHERE thhps.enum_face_allin_action NOT SIMILAR TO '(N|F)' and flg_showdown;

This one will tell us how many hands someone faced an all-in and did not fold and got to showdown.

If you need help running the queries shoot me a PM and I'll talk you through it - my own database with a little over 100k tournament hands has 55 results from the first query and 2127 from the second - so about 2.5% of all-ins are being affected if my numbers generalize.
kraada

Postby zubs1aa » Mon May 02, 2011 2:17 pm

kraada wrote:Can either or both of you run this query against your database?

SELECT count(thhps.id_hand) from tourney_holdem_hand_player_statistics thhps WHERE thhps.enum_face_allin_action NOT SIMILAR TO '(N|F)' and not(flg_showdown);

That should tell us how many hands there were in which someone faced an all-in and did something other than fold (enum_face_allin_action is the action the player took when facing the all-in - N is none, F is fold) and yet the player didn't get to showdown (which means he had to fold to someone else's action).

Compare that to the results from:

SELECT count(thhps.id_hand) from tourney_holdem_hand_player_statistics thhps WHERE thhps.enum_face_allin_action NOT SIMILAR TO '(N|F)' and flg_showdown;

This one will tell us how many hands someone faced an all-in and did not fold and got to showdown.

If you need help running the queries shoot me a PM and I'll talk you through it - my own database with a little over 100k tournament hands has 55 results from the first query and 2127 from the second - so about 2.5% of all-ins are being affected if my numbers generalize.

I got 4,109 from query 1 and 159,917 from query 2 =2.6% very similar to your result Kraada. The DB had 604,000 hands.

If it is really only 2.6% of hands, I think that whether included or excluded it is NOT going to influence your results over the long term much regardless. If you assume 15% error on those 2.6% then you are talking about roughly 0.4% error overall to your total results if you include those. (just doing simple math2.6% x 15% which may not be the correct statistical adjustment but as a rule of thumb check i think is in the ballpark.)

I think you guys should just therefore include these items since it's the simpler choice and both ways have their slight flaws.
zubs1aa

Postby kraada » Mon May 02, 2011 2:48 pm

I suspect the real error is much larger than 15%. Looking at the last sample hand I threw up with the four players we were all in with JT on a T42 board vs T9, X and Y. If X = QQ and Y = AK, we had 20% real equity. If X = 88 and Y = AQ we had 55% real equity.

The proposal is to treat it as if we had almost 85% equity. So we can be pretty easily shaving off 30%, and possibly as much as 65% equity. If the real difference is more like 40% or 45% error on the whole, we're adding in 1% error using your ballparking method. This error also will pretty uniformly make you look like you're running worse than you are (as shown in my 2+2 post).

But honestly I don't think that matters. We'd have to be spending significant amount of energy and resources to go in and change the calculations. We'd have to test and make sure everything works, we could potentially introduce bugs, and it would definitely take nontrivial amounts of development and testing time. And for what? So that we can add somewhere between .5% and 1% error to your all-in EV report by adding something you admit is theoretically speculative and make it look like you run worse? I'm just not seeing the motivation here.
kraada

Postby zubs1aa » Mon May 02, 2011 3:41 pm

kraada wrote:But honestly I don't think that matters. We'd have to be spending significant amount of energy and resources to go in and change the calculations. We'd have to test and make sure everything works, we could potentially introduce bugs, and it would definitely take nontrivial amounts of development and testing time. And for what? So that we can add somewhere between .5% and 1% error to your all-in EV report by adding something you admit is theoretically speculative and make it look like you run worse? I'm just not seeing the motivation here.

I agree I think. (Though I am just trying to bring some perspective to the middle of the debate between PT and PJ.)

If the current calculation has the *error* you mentioned built in as it only uses shown cards, I'm personally fine as it won't misstate that much.

If the current calculation ignores the *error* scenario, I personally am fine with that as well. again, the % ignored is so small.

PJ was wanting something fancy here, but I'd hope that he would agree that leaving out 2.5% of the allins (which is what I think you are doing now) is still fine. We'll have to wait for him to weigh in here though.
zubs1aa

Postby PJs Ronin » Mon May 02, 2011 9:28 pm

I am shattered.

I have just realized that we are probably talking about two entirely different things. Let's set some parameters:

~ Hero, VillainA (VA) and VillainB (VB) in a hand,
~ Preflop, Hero has gone all-in called by VA and VB,
~ Turn... VA shoves and VB folds,
~ Hero has 100 chips, VA 200 and VB 150.

The PT3 version of EQ is for all possible outcomes of the above hand.
My version of EQ is for the outcome of that hand.

So instead of me saying "I had 34% (say) EQ in that hand." I should be saying "I have 34% (say) EQ for all scenarios of that hand."

Can the PT3 guys confirm that from the PT3 side?
PJs Ronin

Postby WhiteRider » Tue May 03, 2011 3:10 am

PT3 doesn't calculate EV for hands like that because we don't know all of the cards so it isn't possible to know your equity at the time of the all-in, as discussed above.

PT3 calculates your ACTUAL EV/equity for all-in hands where all holecards which are involved in the all-in pot are known.
WhiteRider

PreviousNext

Return to General [Read Only]