Facing a pocket pair

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Facing a pocket pair

Postby wangtangkiki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:06 am

Is there anyway I can make a report or something that will allow me to see how often my pocket pair runs into another pocket pair?
Of course only hands that went to showdown or were shown will count.. but I want to see how often this occurs..

I've noticed that I literally always run into a pocket pair when I have one.. I'm on Merge.. I find it very unlikely their card dispenser (lol.. I guess RNG?) is broken, but it just seems really ridiculous how often this occurs..

Btw, would it even be possible for me to prove if I run into a pocket pair more than normal?
Most of the hands that you'll see your opponents pocket pairs are going to be All-ins with AA/KK/QQ..
wangtangkiki

Re: Facing a pocket pair

Postby WhiteRider » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:28 am

Have a look at this thread - if you want to check for all pocket pairs for yourself and an opponent you'll need to extend the filters somewhat. Instead of just "WHERE holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1" you'll need to extend it to include the id_holecard values for all pairs - details of which can be found in this post.
So you'll want WHERE clauses like this, but for all 13 pairs:
WHERE (holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 26 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 49 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 70 OR ... )
WhiteRider

Postby wangtangkiki » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:45 pm

Alright awesome.

Thanks man.

Btw, is there any statistical value for pocket pairs going up against pocket pairs 9 handed?
wangtangkiki

Postby kraada » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:53 pm

Please elaborate on what you mean by "statistical value".
kraada

Postby wangtangkiki » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:42 am

Basically how often a pocket pair will go up against another pocket pair in a given hand when 9-handed
wangtangkiki

Postby kraada » Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:52 am

9 handed you're 36.33% to be up against another pair given that you hold one. For details on how this was calculated see here. It talks about domination but for your question we don't care about being dominated or not - we just care about any pair. Since all other pairs dominate you when we have 22, we can just use that row to see the odds that someone would have any pair when we have any pair (as the odds don't change when we have 22 or AA, just the number of hands we dominate).
kraada

Postby wangtangkiki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:14 am

36% ? Really?
The odds are having one pocket pair is 6% correct?

I looked at my hand history and 2,074 of my 36,009 hands are pocket pairs. 5.75%
So there is a 36% chance that I'll face a pocket pair? That sounds high but I'll how often this occurs in my HH.. It will be a small sample size since I only have 2k pocket pairs..
wangtangkiki

Postby wangtangkiki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:01 am

WhiteRider wrote:Have a look at this thread - if you want to check for all pocket pairs for yourself and an opponent you'll need to extend the filters somewhat. Instead of just "WHERE holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1" you'll need to extend it to include the id_holecard values for all pairs - details of which can be found in this post.
So you'll want WHERE clauses like this, but for all 13 pairs:
WHERE (holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 26 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 49 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 70 OR ... )

Is the filter supposed to look like this?

holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand in (SELECT holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand from holdem_hand_player_statistics WHERE holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 26 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 49 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 70 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 89 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 106 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 121 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 134 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 145 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 154 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 161 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 166 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 169)

ahh I tested it, and it is showing every hand with a pocket pair.
wangtangkiki

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:08 am

Yes, that looks good.

wangtangkiki wrote:36% ? Really?

I looked at my hand history and 2,074 of my 36,009 hands are pocket pairs. 5.75%
So there is a 36% chance that I'll face a pocket pair? That sounds high but I'll how often this occurs in my HH.. It will be a small sample size since I only have 2k pocket pairs..

Did you read the thread that kraada linked you to? That takes you through the maths - 36% is when you face 9 other players, which obviously increases the chances significantly.
WhiteRider

Postby wangtangkiki » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 am

WhiteRider wrote:Yes, that looks good.

wangtangkiki wrote:36% ? Really?

Did you read the thread that kraada linked you to? That takes you through the maths - 36% is when you face 9 other players, which obviously increases the chances significantly.

It's not working correctly.
It shows every hand that has a pocket pair, not every hand where a pocket pair is facing another pocket pair.
wangtangkiki

Next

Return to General [Read Only]