Facing a pocket pair

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Facing a pocket pair

Postby kraada » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:36 am

No report will ever get you this information you will have to do it with just the math - the reason for this is that you don't know your opponent's hands the vast majority of the time, and the times you do see his hand it's skewed by the strength of the board and actions taken by other players. The only way to get a real answer to this problem is to do the math - which says 36% when 9 handed. So a little more than 1 time in 3 when you hold a pair, so will someone else.
kraada

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:03 pm

wangtangkiki wrote:
WhiteRider wrote:Yes, that looks good.

wangtangkiki wrote:36% ? Really?
The odds are having one pocket pair is 6% correct?

I looked at my hand history and 2,074 of my 36,009 hands are pocket pairs. 5.75%
So there is a 36% chance that I'll face a pocket pair? That sounds high but I'll how often this occurs in my HH.. It will be a small sample size since I only have 2k pocket pairs..

Did you read the thread that kraada linked you to? That takes you through the maths - 36% is when you face 9 other players, which obviously increases the chances significantly.

It's not working correctly.
It shows every hand that has a pocket pair, not every hand where a pocket pair is facing another pocket pair.

If you want to limit it to hands where you had a pocked pair as well you can do that with a Simple Filter by selecting the appropriate starting hands.
WhiteRider

Postby wangtangkiki » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:48 am

I want a stat on how often it occurs, but it would be skewed for sure. I just want to see how often it occurs. There would be no way to even prove if pocket pairs go up against pocket pairs more than usual on a certain site would there? Like if their RNG was incorrect, you couldn't tell could you?
wangtangkiki

Postby wangtangkiki » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:49 am

WhiteRider wrote:
It's not working correctly.
It shows every hand that has a pocket pair, not every hand where a pocket pair is facing another pocket pair.

If you want to limit it to hands where you had a pocked pair as well you can do that with a Simple Filter by selecting the appropriate starting hands.[/quote]

I'm trying to get it so I see every hand that there was a pocket pair vs a pocket pair. Even if I didn't have a pocket pair. Basically any pocket pair vs pocket pair hand I observed.
wangtangkiki

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:16 am

Kraada - can we add something to the filter so that we check for two players having pocket pairs (filter as above), by checking for (player-id-A AND pocket-pair) AND (player-id-B AND pocket-pair) AND (player-id-A != player-id-B) ?
WhiteRider

Postby kraada » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 am

Yeah I was thinking about the best way to do that; it's a little tricky.

I think this will work, but it'll need some testing. You're going to need the following two filters:

holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand in (SELECT holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand from holdem_hand_player_statistics WHERE id_player = (select setting_value::int from settings where setting_name = 'my_player_id') AND (holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 26 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 49 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 70 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 89 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 106 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 121 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 134 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 145 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 154 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 161 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 166 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 169))

and

holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand in (SELECT holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand from holdem_hand_player_statistics WHERE id_player != (select setting_value::int from settings where setting_name = 'my_player_id') AND (holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 26 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 49 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 70 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 89 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 106 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 121 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 134 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 145 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 154 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 161 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 166 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 169))

The first filters to times you personally had a pocket pair, the second filters for times anybody who wasn't you had a pocket pair. The intersection is the times you both had pocket pairs. Expect to see this be a very small number though in general because you get to showdown vs opponents infrequently at best.
kraada

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:01 pm

We can do that with a single custom filter and a Simple Filter, but sadly...

wangtangkiki wrote:I'm trying to get it so I see every hand that there was a pocket pair vs a pocket pair. Even if I didn't have a pocket pair. Basically any pocket pair vs pocket pair hand I observed.
WhiteRider

Postby kraada » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:26 pm

In that case, this ought to do it:

holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand in (SELECT holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand, count(holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_player) as c from holdem_hand_player_statistics WHERE holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 1 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 26 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 49 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 70 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 89 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 106 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 121 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 134 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 145 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 154 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 161 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 166 OR holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_holecard = 169 GROUP BY holdem_hand_player_statistics.id_hand HAVING c >= 2)
kraada

Postby wangtangkiki » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:45 pm

Alright thanks guys. I'll try this out.

I just had something really annoying occur in this tournament :(

I had KK vs QQ.. won that hand..

after the next hand:

I have KK again, I face AA and JJ.. (and an idiot joins the race with KJo when there were 2 allins before him)

(Also the JJ called with 3 allins lmao.. made no sense.. I woulda been knocked out if I hadn't doubled up 2 hands before with KK)

Is that rare? Even if it isn't, it's REALLLLY annoying.

I used your first filter kraada then I turned off active player..

41,700 hands
2,015 hands with 2 pocket pairs that we saw.

I had a pocket pair in 215 of them.

Is there anyway to see if 3 ppl had a pocket pair?
wangtangkiki

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:28 am

wangtangkiki wrote:Is that rare? Even if it isn't, it's REALLLLY annoying.

It's rare, but it's not unheard of, of course. What would be really unusual would be if that NEVER happened. If you play a lot online you see a huge number of hands, and these things will happen. (If you play long enough, everyone at the table will have a pocket pair at some point..)

wangtangkiki wrote:Is there anyway to see if 3 ppl had a pocket pair?

Kraada will have to confirm, but I think his last query will include all hands with 2 or more pocket pairs, since the check is "HAVING c >= 2".
WhiteRider

PreviousNext

Return to General [Read Only]