Attention Mac OS Lion users

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Attention Mac OS Lion users

Postby madsenma » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:22 pm

Sorry I don't quite understand. How do you use a Finder with elevated privileges? I have tried this using both the Administrator user and the postgres user. Neither worked. What is this superuser?
madsenma

Postby kraada » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:14 pm

The easiest way, if you're familiar with the command line, is to run it through sudo (or just run sudo su - and then make the changes from the command line directly).

Otherwise, this program will give you a graphical way of making it work.
kraada

Postby mpk1985 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:44 pm

Is there any idea when the lion capable postgres will be released? Also, as someone with 2 recent lion computers, any chance I can get first chance with the pt4 beta?
mpk1985

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:07 am

I haven't heard anything about a release date for a native installer for Lion yet, but it will work with the workarounds in this thread.
The PT4 beta will be public - anyone will be able to try it out.
WhiteRider

Postby tanpec » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:49 pm

kraada wrote:Click on the Apple menu at the top left and choose System Preferences. In there open Users and Groups. Create a new user. The postgres user doesn't need special permissions so don't worry about that - just create it and then run the installer and the installer should take care of the rest.

So that is all? The command line stuff mentioned above are not necessary? Would be great, as I am not familiar with it. Can you confirm, that only adding a user postgres will make the installation work? Thanks.
tanpec

Postby kraada » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:22 pm

After working with a user directly on this issue, I can't say this will work 100% (although it might). If it doesn't work, what you'll likely need to do is add the postgres user to the group "daemon" and then everything should work.
kraada

Postby zhongzhong » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:10 pm

Many thanks. I am new to OS system and not familiar with it.

I create the new user postgres. Then i opened root, enter the command cd /Library/PostgreSQL/9.0 as instructed. However, i get the message: No such file or directory.

I have downloaded the postgresql automatically when i installed PT3 already.

Can someone kindly help?

Thx a lot
zhongzhong

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:40 pm

I'm told that these directions should be all that you need to do, although if you have already run PT3 you will need to clear the PT3 preferences before you run it again in order for it to install PostgreSQL for you, or after this you can download and install PostgreSQL manually too.
WhiteRider

Postby Sn3aks » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:18 pm

kraada wrote:Wikety,

Click on the Apple menu at the top left and choose System Preferences. In there open Users and Groups. Create a new user. The postgres user doesn't need special permissions so don't worry about that - just create it and then run the installer and the installer should take care of the rest.

Sorry for sounding like an idiot, I created a new user then tried the install and get the same error, am I missing something in that process? I also tried the moderator fix and it also didn't work.

Thanks for the input.
Sn3aks

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:58 am

Please follow these directions in order to be able to install PostgreSQL on Lion.
WhiteRider

PreviousNext

Return to General [Read Only]