Installing DB on 2nd HD

General discussion of PokerTracker 3.

Moderator: Moderators

Installing DB on 2nd HD

Postby forboon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:49 am

I bought a new hd (SSD), and I would like to run my boot windows on my sdd, and keep my pt3 database on my other HD because its bigger.

I'm not even sure this is optimal. Really I have a 120 GB ssd now and 1tb hd. I have a clean windows for either.

I have a backup of my pt3 database stored on a 3rd external drive.

So I can really do anything but I don't understand what a DB is in relation to where it needs to be. Do I put pt3 on my sdd boot windows drive, and the data base on the hd 1tb drive I will use for data and storage purposes. Can I even do this?
Any help thx. It should be simple I'm just not sure how to do it and everytime I try I can' get the result I want!
forboon

Re: Installing DB on 2nd HD

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:23 am

You will get optimal performance by having your database on your SSD as this will be faster, as long as that doesn't get close to filling the drive - make sure you keep a reasonable amount of free space on it for it to perform at it's best.

If you want to keep your database on your old drive then installing the same version as you currently have again, to the same location, should allow it to reconnect to the existing databases.
If you want to use your SSD then install PostgreSQL to the drive where you want to store your databases and restore your backup using PT3.

PostgreSQL Guides
WhiteRider

Postby forboon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:05 pm

btw thank you for your prompt reply. I have to consider this throughout the day (semi working at the moment), then i can reply with either questions or success, but i just wanting to return my thx with equal promptness.
forboon

Postby forboon » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:38 pm

bah sometimes its hard to post the extact question to troubleshoot the issue and why i can't understand the solution.

Everything is unzipping now and I expect it to work out. My problem was every-time I attempted to install I was skipping the dialog for changing the database drive letter. I knew it was something obvious but sometimes you can't catch your own errors

thx! hopefully i got it all figured out but i should because it makes sense.

I bought the ssd because I needed a new hd anyways, not sure if i will run my database of it because then i won't able to fit my os (its only 120gb ssd). My database is 50gb about, and I just cut out hands older than a year.

Does it make sense that I would rather use my ssd for my os? In the near future i might keep my database small enough to fit with the os on the hd (prob when i change to pt4), but for now i don't even need super performance, just a good back up system etc.
forboon

Postby WhiteRider » Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:52 am

You'll certainly get better Windows performance by installing it to the SSD, and if PT3 performance has been OK then keeping your databases on your old bigger drive won't matter. It would be faster using the SSD, but you wouldn't want to fill the disk right up and if you're happy with the current performance then keeping it on the older drive may be better for you.
WhiteRider

Return to General [Read Only]