temp dir for backup?

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

temp dir for backup?

Postby merkur33 » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:03 pm

wanted to backup my databases, but PT tells me i don't have enough space on my main partition, where PT is installed. However, i have another partition just for postgres and my databases, there is plenty of space. How to tell PT to use this partition for the temp dir?

And i have question concerning the merging of notes into one database (via the backup procedure): what happens if the currently active database doesn't have the players you have notes from in the backuped databases? Are they created with zero hands and just the notes? this would be cool.....

And by the way thanks for the many new features and bugfixes. Espescially the "convert stat"-feature and the rush hud is GREAT!! and some of my favorite bugs are gone, too... :( although it still has some trouble with ticket #45155 (behavior with unnescessary sanity checks when editing/ NOT editing stat definitions) and some hud crashes, espescially when changing tables in mutitable-tourneys and/or changing the hud profile. Maybe i can produce some logs, when i remember to back them up prior to restart. The problem is, when that happens, its usually right after i reached the final table somewhere, so i usually don't think about it...
merkur33

Re: temp dir for backup?

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:40 am

I'm pretty sure that the backup process is done by postgres, so the temp files will be on the disk that postgres is installed on, but I'll see if I can find out whether it's possible to change this.

I'm not sure about restoring notes when the player doesn't exist - I'll find out.

Thanks for the feedback - if you still have new problems with an existing ticket please reply to it with the new information.
If you have a new issue please create a new ticket.
WhiteRider

Postby merkur33 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:28 am

WhiteRider wrote:I'm pretty sure that the backup process is done by postgres, so the temp files will be on the disk that postgres is installed on, but I'll see if I can find out whether it's possible to change this.

That can't be, because i have postgres running on my big D-partition, where i have enough free space. But the backup complains about not having enough Space on C: (where PT is installed...)
merkur33

Postby kraada » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:37 am

I'm not sure off the top of my head how to change this but I'll look into it for you.
kraada

Postby WhiteRider » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:50 am

The system takes temp area from the TEMP environment variable. It can be set from windows but you can also do this from command line: "set TEMP="c:....." (be careful- this affects a lot of things!)
WhiteRider

Postby merkur33 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:05 pm

Thanks but - hmm. How careful exactly is careful? maybe set the thing to D:, reboot and do nothing but the backup... Since temp files are ony valid during one session (are they?), this should work. Or am i wrong?

The fact that my current temp dir is full of up to two year old garbage, speaks against this theory. Any ideas what to do?

Like this, the backup feature basically doesn't work for people who have another HD than their system HD as database ressource. Maybe this is a good idea to fix, anyhow?
merkur33

Postby tarix » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:09 pm

There is a tool that comes with Windows called "Disk Cleanup" that can do this for you. What version of Windows do you have?
tarix
Developer

Postby merkur33 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:32 pm

XP SP3. Thanks - i'm horrible with this windows stuff. But this doesn't help me with my backup problem, or does it? Or do you mean after cleaning up the old files, i cen set TEMP=D:/whateveriw.ant and it will be fine?
merkur33

Postby tarix » Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Disk Cleanup:
1. Click Start -> Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> Disk Cleanup

Changing Temp:
1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Click Environment variables.
4. Under System Envrionment variables Find "TEMP"
5. Change it to the new temp directory. It must already exist. Do not use C:\ or D:\
tarix
Developer

Postby merkur33 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:52 am

merkur33 wrote:Do you mean after cleaning up the old files, i can set TEMP=D:/MyNewTempDir and it will be fine?

OK, i will take this as a "yes". For some reason, i have many hidden and/or protected old temp files that appearantly can't get cleaned up. But this doesn't really bother me much. I set it to D:/Temp and it seems to work. Nevertheless i think this should be settable from PT. Not everyone has enough space available at their system HD/partition, where the TEMP-var usually points to.
merkur33

Next

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]