OS X Mountain Lion

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: OS X Mountain Lion

Postby iJohn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:57 pm

Well it looks like i have been able to figure out what the problem is. As you know on since Lion and now Mountain Lion you can work with Multiple Desktops. I have several desktops to organize all my windows, one for poker tables, one for poker tracker and a main one. I closed all desktops and the HUD seems to be working ok at the main one, i tried opening new ones again and moving the tables to another desktop and the problem persists (HUD is not following the tables when you move them to a new desktop) , i move the tables back to the main and it works. Looks like PT HUD is not recognizing multiple desktops on Mountain Lion. I hope this works to find a solution cause the ability to organize everything is what makes Mac OS really nice.
iJohn

Postby Foeller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:06 pm

iJohn is spot on! Great find! :)
Foeller

Postby kraada » Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:56 pm

Are you using a special utility to turn multiple desktops on?
kraada

Postby Foeller » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:03 pm

kraada wrote:Are you using a special utility to turn multiple desktops on?

Nope :)
Foeller

Postby iJohn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:42 pm

kraada wrote:Are you using a special utility to turn multiple desktops on?

No special utility, I have been working with several desktops since Lion (native feature added), the HUD was working properly on Lion
iJohn

Postby kraada » Fri Aug 03, 2012 12:55 pm

Could you tell me exactly how you are turning this off? I've just had a discussion with one of our internal Mountain Lion staff members and we're confused about exactly what you've changed here.
kraada

Postby StevenM » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm

iJohn wrote:Well it looks like i have been able to figure out what the problem is. As you know on since Lion and now Mountain Lion you can work with Multiple Desktops. I have several desktops to organize all my windows, one for poker tables, one for poker tracker and a main one. I closed all desktops and the HUD seems to be working ok at the main one, i tried opening new ones again and moving the tables to another desktop and the problem persists (HUD is not following the tables when you move them to a new desktop) , i move the tables back to the main and it works. Looks like PT HUD is not recognizing multiple desktops on Mountain Lion. I hope this works to find a solution cause the ability to organize everything is what makes Mac OS really nice.

iJohn - I am not as well known as Kradda or WhiteRider on the PT support forums, but I am also part of the PT team. I rarely get involved in support threads because I am busy working on other topics, but I think I can help to add some insight on this topic since I am the most active OS X power-user in our company.

The "multiple desktop" feature you are discussing used to be called spaces until OS X Lion was released, Spaces was replaced with Mission Control. PokerTracker's HUD worked seamlessly with Spaces and Mission Control prior to Mountain Lion, but to be honest that was not intentional, but we were happy that the HUD worked perfectly with Mission Control without any side effects. It was not intentional though because we cannot imagine players switching between desktop spaces in Mission Control, it has the potential to create a scenario where players can lose just because they could not switch between screens fast enough. We knew of some players, both you and myself included, who placed the PT3 application on one desktop space while playing on another desktop space when using Mission Control, but that was the only feasible use of Mission Control that we can think of.

With the release of Mountain Lion we have discovered that you can place the PT3 application in any desktop space within Mission Control and it will work perfectly provided that your poker tables are always on the main Desktop 1 space. Apple changed the way certain APIs work within the OS, this means we can only display a HUD on Desktop 1 in Mountain Lion. We don't see this as a bug because the functionality of using a HUD with Mission Control still works, the only difference now is that your poker tables must be your main Desktop 1 space, while all of your other applications can be moved to any other desktop space. All this requires is a different layout of your applications, a minor adjustment and you will be back using spaces once again.

Good luck!

PS: As Kraada pointed out above, there is no way to turn off Mission COntrol in Mountain Lion, it is a preference that is always enabled. See the screenshot below for more details.

StevenM

Postby Foeller » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:04 pm

It's actually pretty simple. When you click the F3 button, which shows you all your open desktops, you can manually close or add an extra desktop. The HUD only works when you only have 1 desktop available. If there's more than one desktop open, the HUD doesn't work.

I've attached a picture to show you how you close the other desktops. On my picture I have 4 desktops open.

EDIT: I see StevenM's reply, but well, I still think it is a bug that it only works on desktop 1, but I guess I can live with that.
Foeller

Postby iJohn » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:18 pm

StevenM - Sounds totally ok, i figured that it would not be a problem for me just using the main desktop for poker and create other desktops for anything else. The HUD is working for me with multiple desktops, only that PokerStars has to be at the main, thats it. It is working for me even if i have PT moved to another desktop, cause the HUD is going to the main desktop where now i have the tables. Its very convenient for me that way cause i almost never consult PT while playing, only after sessions. I use my laptop with a monitor, so other than multiple desktops i also use two screens, one for Pokerstars Lobby and the monitor only for tables, i never have to minimize the lobby or it never gets in my way with the tables.

Thanks a lot for your help!
iJohn

Postby Stijn_123 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:55 pm

Had the same problem with the hud moving to the background.
Thx for sharing the solution here, i'm glad it's ok now!
Stijn_123

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]