PT3 Recovery from HD

Experiencing technical difficulties? Think you've found a problem with PokerTracker 3? Report it here.

Moderator: Moderators

PT3 Recovery from HD

Postby Nate_Keller » Thu May 15, 2014 6:02 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to consolidate all of my PT data into PT4. I have PT3 data on a hard drive, recovered from a dead machine. The data is intact, can browse the file system, etc. How can I redirect or import this data into my newly installed PT3, to then step convert to PT4?

When I use PT3 database management, the "backup" option doesn't seem to find any files in the external HD that it can read.

Can I trick PT3 into thinking I have a 2nd DB if I copy over certain files to my existing PostgreSQL directory?

And I'm sure the answer is probably "NO", but can I convert my PT2 files from hard drive to PT3 as well?

Thanks
Nate_Keller

Re: PT3 Recovery from HD

Postby WhiteRider » Fri May 16, 2014 3:08 am

You would need PostgreSQL to be able to connect to the old database in order for either PT3 or PT4 to read it. You can't just copy the data files to your existing PostgreSQL folder though.

Before you get to deep into that, since there isn't likely to be a simple solution - if you still have the hand history files then you could just import those using Get Hands From Disk and that would be much easier.
WhiteRider

Postby Nate_Keller » Fri May 16, 2014 7:51 am

It's probably not made any simpler by also moving from PC to Mac. I noticed in the Mac PT3 version, some of the menu items (like convert PT2->PT3) aren't available.

I found a very limited number of hand history files. It looks like in most cases, once the original hands were imported I deleted them (DOH!).

I have a Windows machine that I'm installing PT3 on. Once that machine has PostgreSQL installed, I'm hoping I can point it to the external drive to look at the right files.
Nate_Keller

Postby kraada » Fri May 16, 2014 8:23 am

There was no Mac version of PT2 which is likely why that was disabled. Good luck getting your data from your external drive.
kraada

Postby Nate_Keller » Fri May 16, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks. I hope that wasn't a sarcastic "good luck" like I'm off on a fool's errand!

I'm not that familiar with the PostgreSQL architecture, so that's my big stumbling block at the moment.
Nate_Keller

Postby kraada » Sat May 17, 2014 7:48 am

If you get the entire data folder back, you can just install the same version of PostgreSQL to that folder and it should be readable. Then you can export (or backup) and go from there.
kraada

Postby Nate_Keller » Mon May 19, 2014 9:07 pm

So the data is in a PostgreSQL 8.3 directory. So I should try to reinstall version 8.3 to the same drive letter? Is there a chance it will overwrite those data files?
Nate_Keller

Postby WhiteRider » Tue May 20, 2014 5:00 am

If you install 8.3 to the same location it was installed to before it should be able to connect to the existing databases. This will not overwrite any databases.
WhiteRider

Postby Nate_Keller » Tue May 20, 2014 3:37 pm

Awesome, I will try that and let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
Nate_Keller

Postby Nate_Keller » Tue May 20, 2014 4:53 pm

I installed PT2V2 and tried to re-direct it to my database to convert history. The message I get is that the database management functions are only for registered users. My product ID is 01C9-9988 - can you please send me a registration code to my email? I wasn't able to find it in my order history.

Thanks
Nate_Keller

Next

Return to Technical Support / Bug Reports [Read Only]