Trying to restore Database

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Trying to restore Database

Postby PokerBot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:22 pm

Thanks for the research into how to resolve this issue

However, when i try to create the database it asks for the password, and i cannot type or copy and past anything in at this part, when i press enter it says

"createdb: could not connect to database postgres: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "owner"

1) How do i get around this?

2) I already created a new databse while trying to restore, should i delete this one?

3) Is there not a away to just access the histories and then i can manually import again as this would take a long time but at least would get around all this DOS stuff?

Thanks
PokerBot

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:38 pm

The default password for the PT3 postgres install is 'dbpass' (no quotes).
If that doesn't work, you can: How To: Remove PostgreSQL Password.

I'm pretty sure you can delete the other DB you created as you won't be using it.

As I said before, you can't get at the hand histories from the backup file - it's not just a text file. The histories are stored in a database which isn't a simple file, it's a collection of files and folders, and that collection has then been backed up to a single file, so everything is pretty well mixed up in there. Only postgres knows how to reconstruct the contents.
WhiteRider

Postby PokerBot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:54 pm

I got rid of the password however when i enter this: createdb -T template0 PokerTrackerDB

this comes up: createdb: "could not connect to database postgres: FATAL role "Owner" does not exist"

This comes up even with trying a different database name

Also how do i delete the database i created before, PT3 wont let me delete the active DB as its the only one

Thanks
PokerBot

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:06 pm

Someone will be along to help in a few minutes.
Don't worry about the other database for now - you can clean that up later.
WhiteRider

Postby Peligroso » Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:17 pm

Please create a new user 'postgres' by using the "createuser" command. Open up the PostgreSQL console by going Start -> Programs -> PostgreSQL -> Command Prompt and follow this command guide.

Note, you need to specify -s for superuser, -d for createdb and -r for createrole.

Example:
createuser -s -d -r postgres

When this is done, reindex by using the following command using the new user "postgres":

reindexdb -U postgres -a

Hope this helps.
Peligroso

Postby PokerBot » Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:18 pm

I am not adept at SQL use as you can probably tell, thus what you said previously made no sense to me whatsoever. The command guide makes no sense to me. I have tried to no avail.

When i type it in i get this error: "creatuser: could not connect to databse postgres: FATAL role "Owner" does not exist

Please can you type in EXACTLY what i have to, so i can just copy and paste it into the dos window to create the user, i want the standard user functions as if i created a database through PT3

Can you also type in exactly what i need to do to re index any anything else that i have to type in so that i can again simply copy and paste what you say

thanks
PokerBot

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Sep 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Please Schedule a remote assistance session (link) and Derek (APerfect10) will arrange a time to help you.
WhiteRider

Postby Peligroso » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:54 pm

PokerBot wrote:When i type it in i get this error: "creatuser: could not connect to databse postgres: FATAL role "Owner" does not exist

I noticed a typo here, you wrote "creatuser", please note that the command should be "createuser". I'm not sure if this is why it's not working though, but you could try it before scheduling a remote session. I think that typing exactly the two commands I wrote in my last post *should* work here.
Peligroso

Previous

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]