Thanks a lot for taking another look guys; I'm truly grateful. After I made that post I did some reading about symbolic links, and (not that I thought otherwise) it seemed like the instructions were accurate, which lv has now confirmed again. It also seemed, as he said, that given the underlying mechanics of symbolic links, the files will appear to be in both places, but I'm glad to hear him confirm that as well.
So I gave it another shot, and this time it worked. Maybe I'm just too literal, but this is the first time that I deleted the pg_xlog folder from its original location (along with the files that it contained), and now I get the correct response when I run the test. Maybe the junction function needs to create the folder, and since it was still there it wasn't working properly. EDIT: the more I think about it, the more sense that makes; if it's still there, it can't be created.