RAID Strip Size and PT3/PSQL

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

RAID Strip Size and PT3/PSQL

Postby vanHelsing » Fri Jan 25, 2008 4:04 am

I'm setting up a new system to deal with big DBs.
HD will be 2 Raptors in RAID 0.

When setting up RAID, you have to chose a stripe block size. With my motherboard the size must be between 4 and 128 kb.

Priority is speed, storage wastage due to too big block size takes 2nd place.

Now, is there a particular stripe block size that will perform best with PT3 DBs?

I'm clueless, so any hint appreciated, thanks.
vanHelsing

Re: RAID Strip Size and PT3/PSQL

Postby APerfect10 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:59 pm

First, excellent choice of 2 Raptors in Raid 0. That is the setup that I am currently using and no one has come close to my import and retrieval speeds. I think you will be very happy with this setup! :)

Whatever block size you use should be identical to PostgreSQL's page size which by default is 8K. If you increase your block size, you should also increase your PostgreSQL page size in the postgresql.conf file.

To be honest, I have not had the luxury of playing around with different block sizes in relation to Postgres performance. I wish I could provide you a better answer. It would definitely be interesting testing out different sizes.

Maybe _dave_ can provide further insight since he has probably more experience than I in dealing with different hardware configurations for PostgreSQL.

Best regards,

Derek
APerfect10
Site Admin

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]