Upgrading form 8.2 to 8.3

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Upgrading form 8.2 to 8.3

Postby Eav1981 » Wed May 19, 2010 12:45 am

Im upgrading from postgres 8.2 to 8.3 i backed up my database, i uninstalled postgres 8.2 im installing postgres 8.3

my question is, do i check the box to initialize database cluster when instialling?

Update:

i have tried it by not initializing the cluster, and renaming the postgres folder 8.2 to 8.3 then trying to restore the backed up database but this did not work as i couldnt get the service to run at all

i uninstalled postgres and tried reinstalling it with *initialize database cluster option but im getting an error

"The Secondary Logon service is not running. This service is required for installer to initialize cluster. Please start this service and try again"

what do i do?

Update:

i found some instructions on the internet
FAQ 9: “Secondary Logon service is not running”
Description: When installing the PostgreSQL service the above message is displayed and the installation will not continue.
Solution: The probable cause is the Windows’ Secondary Logon service is not running properly. Check the service status using
Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Services. Find the “Secondary Logon” service in the list and check the
“Status” column. It should be displaying “Started”. If not, try the following to start the service:
1. Right mouse click on the PostgreSQL server service entry and select “Properties”.
2. Change the “Start Up type” to automatic.
3. Select “Start” button. After the service starts, retry the installation.

i followed them, will let you guys know how things went after i try to reinstall
Eav1981

Re: Upgrading form 8.2 to 8.3

Postby kraada » Wed May 19, 2010 8:39 am

Yes you need to initialize the database cluster - there is no 8.3 cluster initialized on your machine (you cannot re-use the 8.2 cluster in 8.3, as they are structured differently).

Those directions should get everything working so you can finish the install though, please let me know if they don't work and what error you receive then.
kraada

Postby Eav1981 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:32 pm

Thanks i got both databases restored and PT3 is running off postgres 8.3

I have another question i could use some help with.

My database ONE ($2/$4 limit) has 750k hands (my hands) and the hands of all the players i played with

My Other database TWO ($5/$10 limit) has 200k hands (my hands) and the hands of all the players i played with

Is it possible to take ONLY my hands from database ONE, and some how merge them to database TWO, without also merging the hands of all the other players?
Eav1981

Postby kraada » Thu May 20, 2010 10:01 am

I'm a bit confused - you said that database one only has data in which you've played. If that's the case you can just export hands from database one and import them into database two. If you mean you want the hands imported but only the data for your player name, that is not possible - when a hand is imported the data on all players is created in the database and it is not possible to stop that from occurring.
kraada

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]