PostgreSQL password problem

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PostgreSQL password problem

Postby disher » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:46 pm

Hey guys,

When opening PT3 (I don't think it's relevant, but for now I have the trial version), an error message comes back regarding signing in to the database:

' Unable to login to database (template1). Reason: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres" '.

When I installed it, it worked fine and I haven't touched the default settings since. I have tried typing a few default passwords as suggested in the forum,
but to no avail.

I also found reference to disabling the password requirement for postgreSQL, but only for PC and I am on a Mac.
Thanks for your help.
disher

Re: PostgreSQL password problem

Postby kraada » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:42 pm

The tutorial here is for a PC but the file still exists on the Mac side.

Run Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal and at the terminal type:

sudo su -

Hit enter, type your mac password (it doesn't show *s, that is normal, just type) and hit enter.

The prompt will change indicating success.

Then type:
nano /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/pg_hba.conf
and hit enter.

You'll find yourself editing the file in the tutorial - edit it as the tutorial explains, then press ctrl+o and enter to save the file then ctrl+x to exit and you can close the window. Restart your computer once and everything should work for you.
kraada

Postby disher » Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:29 am

thanks kraada, it's working now.
disher

Postby ashRob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:12 am

Hey

I had the same Problem, changed all 3 entries from md5 to trust, saved and restarted postgresql. It still wont work, what did i do wrong?
ashRob

Postby kraada » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:07 pm

Make sure there are no #s at the front of the line, that would cause it to not be interpreted.
kraada

Postby ashRob » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:58 pm

Ok i deleted the #s. When i open PT3 after that there still appears a window "configure postgresql database"and it wants me to either connect to a db or create a new one. whatever i do i still get the same error as before editing the config file :(
ashRob

Postby kraada » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:18 am

Did you restart PostgreSQL after making the change and saving the file? That is necessary. Is it possible you installed PostgreSQL on a different port?
kraada

Re: PostgreSQL password problem SOLVED

Postby ilovemagic » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:49 pm

PostgreSQL V8.3

I used this site to help me delete all pokertracker and postgreSQL files on my laptop one day. I run windows 7. I downloaded it again. Initially I changed the user which is by default "postgres" to "stained". This did not work, A) because stained is not a user that can be used apparently it has to be "postgres" for password initially it was saying it couldnt log me in, standard password error as well : ' Unable to login to database (template1). Reason: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres" and "stained".

changed user back to "postgres", modified password to "off" using this:

I used https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/vie ... =45&t=4510 to modify the password setting (MD5 to "trust") and now it seems to be working fine. will continue to monitor and report any other problems.

unfortunately for me i had to re enter my registration code upon reinstallation of pokertracker.
ilovemagic

Postby kraada » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm

For what it's worth, using your registration code again isn't a problem - the only limitation is on the number of current active registrations you have going. Using it twice on the same machine after reinstalling isn't going to cause any problems.
kraada

Postby astros11ss » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:37 am

I also get this error message when I try to open PT4 (Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"). I was getting this error message a week ago, found this thread, followed the instructions to edit pg_hba.conf in Terminal, and got my PT4 working fine. However, after a week of successfully using PT4, this morning when I tried to open it I got the same error message. I assume I don't need to edit the file again, any suggestions?
astros11ss

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]