Downgrading postgre sql?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Downgrading postgre sql?

Postby GreetUrDs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:03 am

Hi,

I just bought PT4, and when installing it I thought I had a sufficient postgre sql -version on my cpu as I used PT3 before. However, it said that the version of postgre was too old, I then downloaded the latest postgre sql version 9.2.3. However, during installation PT4 said it does not support newer than 9.1 versions. I continued the installation though as cancelling there was also stated to bee hazardous.

Anyway, my question is, should I downgrade postgre sql? If yes, how is it exactly done, meaning do I have remove the older version first? At the moment the setup is converting my PT3 db and it seems fine.

EDIT: I noticed the version 9.0.6 (W7) is recommended for PT4. Is this still available somewhere?
GreetUrDs

Re: Downgrading postgre sql?

Postby GreetUrDs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:27 am

Another question, if it is recommended to uninstall / reinstall valid version of postgre sql, can this be done after the PT4 has already been installed in to my cpu and old PT3 db has been converted.

Thanks a lot for any assistance.
GreetUrDs

Postby GreetUrDs » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:15 pm

The installation didn't finish. I have now removed PT4 and the newer version of Postgre sql from my CPU (not the service account though). So I have still postgre 8.2 and ofc PT3 on my cpu.

So, please help me what should I do and in which order to make PT4 work with my old PT3 db. Can I still use the same activation key?
GreetUrDs

Postby kraada » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 pm

For PT4 you will want the latest 9.0.x version which at this point in time is 9.0.12 which you can download here. If you have a 64 bit machine, get the x64 version as that will provide performance boosts for you.

Just uninstall 9.1 and delete the data directory and you will be fine, nothing else needs to be done. Keep 8.2 installed until you've converted your database over to PT4.

PT4 uses a different registration code than PT3 but I see your PT4 purchase is already linked to your account here, so you can find your PT4 registration code on your Registration Codes page.
kraada

Postby GreetUrDs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:00 am

Hi again,

Thanks for the info. I have a new problem now... I uninstalled the 9.2.3 version and deleted the data directory. Then I tried to install the 9.0.12 version, but it didn't accept "dbpass" as main service account password. This is really strange as it did accept it when I installed the 9.2.3 version couple of days ago. Besides, I'm pretty sure I have used that "dbpass" password also for the 8.2 version of PT3.

So, do I have to delete the old service account to proceed? And can that be done before converting the PT3 database to PT4?
GreetUrDs

Postby WhiteRider » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:14 am

Yes, I think you'll need to remove the service account. That won't affect any files so after you reinstall any data you had in place will still be there.
WhiteRider

Postby GreetUrDs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:52 am

I removed the service account and the installation of postgres 9.0.12 and PT4 went fine. However, my old PT3 db has apparantely been gone..? PT4 cant find it when trying to convert PT3 db to PT4. I also checked PT3 that it cant find the db either. So deleting the service account did in fact delete the db as well? Is there anyway to recover that as I have over 2,4M hands...

EDIT: the old PT3 db is definitely still in the data folder as it's over 27gb. I think the problem is with the postgre version. The old database was postgre version 8.2 (which I have still in my cpu, but the service account was removed). So this postgres 9.012 can't connect to old pt3 db.
GreetUrDs

Postby GreetUrDs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:20 am

My main concern is obviously my old database, so is there a way to make it work again (even in PT3). So, I have the 8.2 version in my cpu, but according to task manager, the service is not running. I tried to start service manually but that doesn't do anything.

So, what's your advice, what should I do?
GreetUrDs

Postby kraada » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:37 am

You'll want to reinstall 8.2 on a different port and then PT4 will be able to detect it in the conversion window once you specify that port. Then convert it into a database created in 9.0 and you'll be good.
kraada

Postby GreetUrDs » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Do you know where can I find 8.2? http://www.enterprisedb.com/products-se ... ad#windows the oldest is 8.3.xx

How does that installing on a different port happen in practice? Can I just enter some random port number (other that the standard 5432) when installing it. Any chance some of you guys could do all these via remote control, as I'm so helpless with these kind of issues.

thanks
GreetUrDs

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]