Postgres will not install on Windows 8

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Postgres will not install on Windows 8

Postby Moolana93 » Thu May 16, 2013 7:14 pm

Hey guys, I've bought a new computer that is running windows 8, previously I was on windows 7 and had absolutely no problems with PT4 or postgres. So at first I downloaded PT4 and it asked me if I wanted them to install postgres for me and I clicked ok. By the end of the download it said that the installation was not completed successfully :S, so i go on any ways and a screen pops up "Configure PostgreSQL database" and I just click create but again it gives an error: "Unable to create postgreSQL database: PT4 DB Reason: Unable to login to database (template1)...... so at that point I come to the forums and make sure I turn off all firewalls and make sure I have complete control I even follow the steps to manually uninstall and reinstall using the guide from this forum. I am running windows 64bit and downloaded the 9.0 postgres. I've been searching the forums for hours now I even tried saving it in a different folder than the default but still no luck. I really need some help here. Thanks for your time!
Moolana93

Re: Postgres will not install on Windows 8

Postby kraada » Fri May 17, 2013 7:43 am

When you run the PostgreSQL 9.0-x64 installer (which if you don't have it, you can get here), what error do you get? If you're running it manually it should tell you something before it finishes.
kraada

Postby Moolana93 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 am

I just finished running it and it gave me a message at the end "Problem running post-install step. Installation may not complete correctly. The database cluster initialisation failed."
Moolana93

Postby Moolana93 » Fri May 17, 2013 8:57 am

let me know if u need any more information
Moolana93

Postby kraada » Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

Open the Start screen type services.msc and click on it when it appears. Locate the Secondary Logon process. If it's not started, start it and set it to start Automatically (Right click -> Properties -> Automatic, then click OK). Then try again. Also keep trying the installation in a directory you just created on the root of the C drive - that can help for this particular issue.
kraada

Postby Moolana93 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 pm

ok it wasn't running so did what you asked and then manually deleted postgres and when I click on that link you provided for me to do a manual download it goes to: Oops! Google Chrome could not find http://www.enterprisedb.com, thats weird :/

EDIT: NVM it works now, gonna try it out and post after I try it out
Moolana93

Postby Moolana93 » Fri May 17, 2013 1:26 pm

wow! it works, thank you so much man!
Moolana93

Postby lunitis@hotmail.com » Tue May 21, 2013 12:08 pm

Hi.
Im new to win 8, and im trying to install PT4. I get this error when starting PT4 when it goes to criate database:
https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/27/errorjs.png
Im trying to do as you say in this thread, but i cant find that "services.msc" thing, when i write it in start screen nothing show up.

I created the Postgresql folder in c:, before that i could even get to the step of creating database, it would say that there was a start error.

help please
lunitis@hotmail.com

Postby kraada » Tue May 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Right click your system tray (where your clock and other icons are) and click Task manager. Click More Details and then change to the Services tab. Do you see PostgreSQL listed there?
kraada

Postby lunitis@hotmail.com » Tue May 21, 2013 4:49 pm

Nop, isnt there.
lunitis@hotmail.com

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]