PT4 Mac OSX - Error connecting to the default database

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: PT4 Mac OSX - Error connecting to the default database

Postby joaoleao » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:44 am

Thanks kraada.

PT4 is working again and I was able to convert my previous PT3 Database.
Because it may be helpful I'll summarize what happened and how the problem was solved.

1. I downloaded and installed PT4 on a Macbook running Mac OS X 10.7.5. The installer asks to install PostgreSQL 9.0 also.
2. I had a previous installation of PT3 + PostgreSQL 8.4.
3. I start PT4 and convert my previous PT3 Database. I played some hands on PokerStars importing them in real-time. Everything works fine.
4. At some point I started PT3 while PT4 was working. If you wonder why the hell would I do that: just because I wanted to export a PT3 HUD profile to use in PT4.
5. The next day, when I start PT4 I get this message "Error connecting to the default database". The only way to open PT4 is to create a new Database.
6. I create a new Database and use "Tools" to import my PT3 Database again but there's no database to import. After I start PT3 to see if the database is still there: "Error connecting to the default database". WTF?

Apparently it was using PT3 and PT4 at the same time that screwed things up.
After looking for help on this forum, kraada explained that the two versions of PostgreSQL should be using different ports. See above for more details.

Here I have to say that the installer should warn users about this potential problem.
Many users will be upgrading from PT3 and in both installations it's recommended that you don't change the default settings as ports, passwords, etc.

Solution (sponsored by kraada):

1. Change the port of one of the PostgreSQL installations. I chose to change the older version. Using Terminal.app type:
sudo nano /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf
Nano is a simple Text Editor (look for help if you don't know what to do). Look for the line where the port is defined and change to 5433 (instead of the default 5432). Restart your computer.
2. Open PT4 and convert PT3 Database with "Tools". For PT4 to find this database you will need to click the blue Change link and change the server settings to the new port (in this case 5433). Now I was able to convert my PT3 Database again.

On a final note I should add that if I go to Database Management, the first database (as of PT4 installation) is still listed but marked by PT4 as invalid. Maybe it was corrupted in the process? PT4 says it can remove it but not delete it (for being invalid).
joaoleao

Re: PT4 Mac OSX - Error connecting to the default database

Postby kraada » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:37 pm

You may be able to find that original database on port 5433 now - regardless you can remove it from the configuration since it's not in use. That just keeps it from showing up in the list.
kraada

Previous

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]