PT4 Mac OSX - Error connecting to the default database

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PT4 Mac OSX - Error connecting to the default database

Postby joaoleao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 am

Hi

I installed PT4 for Mac 2 days ago. Everything went ok, I imported my PT3 database to PT4.

Today when I started PT4 it says:
"Error connecting to the default database."

It only allows me to create a new one.
What can/should I do? Just create a new database and import all the PT3 database again?

I already played around 500 hands imported with PT4 and I'd like no to lose them.

The only thing I did different on the last session was to import the HUD profile I used with PT3 that has some custom statistics. Could it have something to do with that?

Thanks in advance.
joaoleao

Re: PT4 Mac OSX - Error connecting to the default database

Postby kraada » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:00 am

If you click new and attempt to create a new one, does the new one get created successfully, or do you get an error? Importing a HUD profile shouldn't cause this kind of thing to happen.
kraada

Postby joaoleao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:17 am

kraada wrote:If you click new and attempt to create a new one, does the new one get created successfully, or do you get an error? Importing a HUD profile shouldn't cause this kind of thing to happen.

It allowed me to create a new database. PT4 started normally but, of course, there's no hands to see.
How do I proceed now?
joaoleao

Postby joaoleao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:27 am

PS:

Opening the Database Management Panel, I now have two databases:
— PokerTracker 4 Database / Size: N/A / Server: localhost / Port: 5432 / User: postgres / Database: PT4 DB
— PT4 2013_06_19_160911 / Size: 7713 kB / Server: localhost / Port: 5432 / User: postgres / Database: PT4 2013_06_19_160911

The second is the Default/Active
joaoleao

Postby joaoleao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:35 pm

UPDATE:

I'm having the same problem with PT3.
When I opened PT3 it asked to create a new database.

I have two versions of PostgresSQL. Is that a problem?

I use Time Machine for backups. Will I be able to recover my PT3 database in case it's lost / corrupted?
I don't where the actual file is stored.

Thanks.
joaoleao

Postby kraada » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:13 pm

Size N/A means that PT4 could not connect to the database and verify its size. Are your two installations on the same port? If they're on different ports everything should be fine, but if you have them both connect on the same port you'll need to shut down one server and start the other up for PT4 to be able to use the other database. Either way in your new database you're probably going to be best off reimporting your hands (or reconverting your database) as that's the only way to guarantee getting your data in there.
kraada

Postby joaoleao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Thanks for your help.

kraada wrote:Are your two installations on the same port?

On both installations I used the default settings. So I guess it's the same port, 5432, right?
How can I check this?

If they're on different ports everything should be fine, but if you have them both connect on the same port you'll need to shut down one server and start the other up for PT4 to be able to use the other database.

Can you tell me how to do this or point me to the right info, please?

Either way in your new database you're probably going to be best off reimporting your hands (or reconverting your database) as that's the only way to guarantee getting your data in there.

In PT4 I tried to "Convert PokerTracker 3 database" but there isn't any database listed.
joaoleao

Postby kraada » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:19 pm

There's a file called postgres.conf - it's a text file in /Library/PostgreSQL/x.y/data/ where x.y is your version number. If you edit it and restart the machine the database should start up on the new port. Leave one at 5432 and set one to 5433 and then you should be able to have both running - when you convert your PT3 database you will need to click the blue Change link and change the server settings to the other database installation then (just changing the port) and then it should detect it.
kraada

Postby joaoleao » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:40 pm

I used nano typing "sudo nano /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgres.conf" but the file has no text.
I'm using Mac OS X 10.7.5.

Can you help again?
Thanks.
joaoleao

Postby kraada » Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:35 pm

That's my fault - it's postgresql.conf not postgres.conf. That is the correct location though so "sudo nano /Library/PostgreSQL/8.4/data/postgresql.conf" will do the trick.
kraada

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]