PT 3 Install Fails at "Starting Services"

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PT 3 Install Fails at "Starting Services"

Postby sly_ng » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:23 am

I get the error

Service 'PostgreSQL Database Server 8.3" (pgsql-8.3) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

I've gone to the 8.3 folder, opened Properties, Security and changed the postgres user to have full control.

Thanks.
sly_ng

Re: PT 3 Install Fails at "Starting Services"

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:49 am

Are you already using PT3?
If you're just getting started with PokerTracker then you should go straight to PT4 as PT3 is no longer being developed and is not for sale anymore.

If you were previously using PT3 then updating shouldn't affect PostgreSQL.
Did you change something else on your computer? Security software (firewall of anti-virus) can interfere with PostgreSQL (Firewall Guide).
WhiteRider

Postby sly_ng » Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:19 am

I'm installing on a Windows 7 laptop. I already have PT3 on my XP desktop.

I've been having many more issues trying to install the database software for PT4 in Windows 7. PT3 install is the closest I've gotten.

Thanks.
sly_ng

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:49 am

If you didn't have PostgreSQL already installed then either version of PokerTracker should install PostgreSQL for you automatically, although PT4 installs a more up to date version and that will be much better.

If you have problems with your PostgreSQL installation you may need to uninstall and re-install - there are guides here.
WhiteRider

Postby sly_ng » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:06 am

I managed to get the 8.4 stand-alone version installed but it gives me an error saying that it cannot initialize database clusters or something similar. When I start PT 3 it says it cannot connect to the database.

Thanks.
sly_ng

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Jul 07, 2013 11:15 am

Just uncheck Initialize Database Cluster and go through the install and that should get things working. If it doesn't, create a support ticket requesting remote assistance and referencing this thread and we'll take care of you.
WhiteRider

Postby sly_ng » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Where do I select/de-select this option? I don't see it as an option during install. I'm installing the latest 8.4 .exe file.

Thanks.
sly_ng

Postby kraada » Mon Jul 08, 2013 8:08 am

If you point 8.4 at a directory already containing an initialized 8.4 PostgreSQL database it should detect that and not attempt to initialize the database -- that checkbox is only in the 8.3 pgInstaller.
kraada

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]