PostgreSQL Service issues

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PostgreSQL Service issues

Postby sloss » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:19 pm

Hello,

Note: I had been battling with this for over a week, about a week ago. So not all of my attempts to solve my issue may be listed.

The problem initially arised from un-installing (as it seems it always does). In the past I rectified this by performing a clean install, removing all the program by using the postgres uninstaller and then manually deleting the remaining folders. Also I ran the command [net user delete /postgres] and possibly [SC delete Postgres-8.4] (also postgres-8.3 as at some point i have ran both). Lastly I would remove the postgres sections in regedit. All with multiple restarts where necessary. This has not worked this time.

This time, the service simply won't start. I have postgres installed directly to the C drive, and I have given the user postgres "full control" of the folder (do I need to give it full control of the C drive?). Also I remember changing a txt file from md5 to trust, postmaster springs to mind, but I'm sure you will understand what file I am talking about. I believe is it to do with postgres needing the password or not. I have tried turning it on using pg_ctl ["C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\pg_ctl.exe" -D "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.3\data" -l startup.log start] but changed my locations, in fact I have used various commands from pages I have found on the Postgres site. All without luck.

Finally I tried doing something where I ran "cmd" and changed it into opening something from the postgres/bin folder then ran some commands from there. But I didn't really know what I was doing.

Anyway I would really like to use pokertracker again, so if you could help me that would be great.

System wise I am using Vista 32-bit. PT3. postgres-8.4 currently installed with "no apparant issue" although it took me a while to get past that.

Thanks in advance,

Sloss
sloss

Re: PostgreSQL Service issues

Postby kraada » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:47 pm

Why did you initially uninstall PostgreSQL? It should not need routine uninstallation for any reason. It sounds like you've followed many of the steps of our uninstall/reinstall guide successfully (you can find it here)), but I'm confused as you say " postgres-8.4 currently installed with "no apparant issue" -- does that mean PostgreSQL 8.4 is running or not?
kraada

Postby sloss » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:48 pm

Sorry, if the last part sounded confusing. I meant that at first i was getting errors installing, errors in "initializing the clusters" (or something similar), and I got around those issues and the current installation went ahead with no errors.

A few year back I uninstalled becuase i stopped playing poker (around black friday), then reinstalled once I got my money back.

This time i remember having many computer issues due to a rootkit virus. recovering from this i noticed issues with skype amoungt other programs, postgres included. All of the other programs were solved with re-installations, I forgot how tricky postgres could be and went ahead with it.

regarding your guide I have followed those steps many times with no sucess, although I was running offline because I had turned off my firewall.

I have just noticed that in pgadmin 3 I still have an 8.3 as well as 8.4 server, both on the same port, and that the databaser server is 8.3. This seems odd.
sloss

Postby kraada » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Go through the uninstall process for both 8.3 and 8.4 and then don't reinstall either one.

Create a new blank folder on the root of the C drive, call it PostgreSQL or some such, then install 9.0-x32 to that folder. You can download that version here. That's probably the easiest way to go for you and 9.0 has some small improvements over 8.3 and 8.4 so if you're starting clean you might as well use it.
kraada

Postby sloss » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:00 am

I just un-installed 8.4 and 8.3 (although there was nothing there outside of pg3admin)

Installed 9.0 and I got an error that I used to get with 8.4. A non-fatal error initliazing database modules.

Consulting the log file, I couldn't find an attach function to add it on here, and it was really long so I will only add bits that didn't run to completion.

Right at the start of the file it get;
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Data Directory. Setting variable iDataDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Base Directory. Setting variable iBaseDirectory to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Service ID. Setting variable iServiceName to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Service Account. Setting variable iServiceAccount to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Super User. Setting variable iSuperuser to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Branding. Setting variable iBranding to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Version. Setting variable brandingVer to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 Shortcuts. Setting variable iShortcut to empty value
Could not find registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PostgreSQL\Installations\postgresql-9.0 DisableStackBuilder. Setting variable iDisableStackBuilder to empty value

And at the bottom i get this;
Script output:
Installing the adminpack module in the postgres database...
Executing 'C:\Users\ian\AppData\Local\Temp\radF37B7.bat'...
psql: server closed the connection unexpectedly
This probably means the server terminated abnormally
before or while processing the request.

Failed to install the 'adminpack' module in the 'postgres' database
loadmodules.vbs ran to completion

Script stderr:
Program ended with an error exit code

Error running cscript //NoLogo "C:\postgres\installer\server\loadmodules.vbs" "postgres" "****" "C:\postgres" "C:\postgres\data" 5432 : Program ended with an error exit code

Any thoughts? Anything else you would like to see?
sloss

Postby kraada » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am

What data remains in the PostgreSQL folder?
kraada

Postby sloss » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:41 am

As far as I can tell all of the data is there.

postgres9.0 is listed as a service.

I have also just given the postgres user permission of the installation directory. When I try to start the service I get "the service started and then stopped immediately".

These are the same issues I was having with 8.3 and 8.4
sloss

Postby kraada » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:41 pm

Please send us the most recent file in the pg_log subfolder via our support system and we'll investigate further for you.
kraada

Postby sloss » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:10 pm

Thank you, I have now done that.
sloss

Postby sloss » Thu Sep 05, 2013 1:06 pm

Any luck?
sloss

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]