Error connecting to default database

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Error connecting to default database

Postby Moss » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:00 pm

Hi, I submitted a support request 24 hours ago and have not received a reply yet so I'm posting here. Please forgive my impatience! I am very frustrated and concerned that I may have lost my most recent database somehow.

I am in the process of restoring several old databases (since 2007) across both HEM and PT. I was advised by HEM support to uninstall postgreSQL 9.0 and reinstall with their combo installer in order to access an old HEM database. This brought me back down to v8.4 and I am now able to access those old HEM databases. However, since doing this, I have been unable to access any of my PokerTracker databases (new and old). First, I would like to access my old PT3 database as I need to view it for reference purposes. When I attempt to open a restored database, I get the message "Error connecting to default database." All options in this window are greyed out and it says "PostgreSQL v0.0.0" in the top right.

Second (and more concerning to me at this point in time), when I try to open my current database through "Database Management" in PT4, I get the message "you cannot activate an invalid database." I am able to successfully create a new database through this window, but everything else is greyed out.

fwiw, I can confirm that postgres is running in my task manager (as I would expect, given that I am able to create new PT databases and access old HEM databases).

I understand now that I should have created a backup of my current database before reinstalling postgreSQL, but I blindly (and perhaps stupidly) followed the advice from HEM support. Fingers crossed that I haven't screwed anything up too badly!

Thanks,

Kyle
Moss

Re: Error connecting to default database

Postby kraada » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:05 pm

If your PT databases were in 9.0, you won't be able to access them via an 8.4 installation. 8.4 cannot read 9.0 installations, period. You'd need to reinstall 9.0 (which you can have running in addition 8.4 concurrently if you need) in order to have that database be readable.
kraada

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]