How should I upgrade the postgreSQL from 8.2 to higher?

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

How should I upgrade the postgreSQL from 8.2 to higher?

Postby zolih » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:20 am

Right now I have 8.2 for hm1. I want to try pt4 and says that it needs 8.3 or higher. I missed the 'auto-install by pt4' opportunity.

There is an upgrade file in the postgreSQL directory, but nothing happens when I am click.
Then I downloaded the installer for the v9 from the official site and it ask for my existing postgresql password, but when I am type in ,it says wrong pass. However that is the correct password I use for the DB right now.

So what should I do to get a higher than 8.2 version for postgresql?
(I dont want to cause any trouble in my existing 8.2 databases because I am using that in my daily sessions)

Thanks.
zolih

Re: How should I upgrade the postgreSQL from 8.2 to higher?

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:26 am

The best thing to do is to install PostgreSQL 9.0, which is our recommended version, and the latest version we support.
You can install it to a different port number from your current installation so that you can continue to use that as well. e.g. Use port 5490 for 9.0 instead of the default 5432 which 8.2 is probably installed on.

Follow this guide to install PostgreSQL 9.0.

If you still have problems with the main postgres user password you can uninstall first and that will allow you to reinstall the postgres user too. If you still want to use 8.2 as well then you can reinstall that and keep your existing databases.
WhiteRider

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]