password authentication failed for user 'postgres'

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

password authentication failed for user 'postgres'

Postby themadfish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:20 am

Been having some setup problems with postgres. It worked ok during the trial, which ended a few months ago, I recently bought pt4 and have been unable to connect to the postgres server; an error message cites some password issues, I looked on the forums for similar problems and found instructions on how to reset the password by editing the configuration file to read 'trust' instead of md5 but hasn't helped. The changes have been save but still having the same problems. These are the messages I'm getting:

when I start up pt4: Default Paramaters error: unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres"

I then get the option to configure defaults: server: localhost; database user: postgres; port: 5432; password: dbpass (have also tried changing password to 'postgrespass' but didn't help.

When I hit connect, this message appears: Unable to connect: Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration.

When I try to select a default database, this message appears at the top of the dialog box in red: Error connecting to the default database. Please select one of the valid databases below or create a new one.

If I try to create a new database, this message appears: PostgreSQL database error: Unable to create PostgreSQL database: Reason: unable to login to database (template 1). Reason: FATAL: password authentication failed for user "postgres".

I'm pretty much out of ideas would really appreciate any help on this, sick of these damn non-optimal plays!!
themadfish

Re: password authentication failed for user 'postgres'

Postby kraada » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:51 am

Please follow this tutorial and that should fix things for you.
kraada

Re: password authentication failed for user 'postgres'

Postby themadfish » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:44 am

Thanks, I had stupidly only changed the bottom two instance of the password, thanks for your help!
themadfish

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]