PostgreSQL service wont start.....

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

PostgreSQL service wont start.....

Postby aggsyb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:24 am

Ok been using PT4 for agessss no problems at all , I am not sure if this is related in anyway whatsoever but I thought I would mention it incase it is somehow weirdly linked to network services or tcp/ip settings etc. My wireless over the last week or so has been dropping , even directly next to the router (as in wireless bars still visible, but just not sending data for 20-60 seconds) I have not changed firewalls/anti virus or any settings , I have done full virus scans , registry cleaning and spyware scans all came back with no problems.

I went to restart my laptop today and suddenly got a BSOD (first time ive got one on this laptop) and since then the PostgreSQL service will not start , constantly getting the error that "it failed to respond to a start command or respond in a timely fashion". One thing to note was after the bluescreen a small calendar app I use had reset all its settings so I am guessing a cache folder somewhere got emptied and I have no idea if this would affect the services being able to run or not.

When I try to run the service and it errors out there is nothing new in the Postgre log files so I am guessing its more of a windows problem than it is Postgre? This is so beyond lifetilting I have alot of hands in this database that I need and although I have alot of the original hh's I dont have them all so its vital this database is properly backed up if I am unable to just get this fixed off the bat. Is there any repair tool I can use for it? or any Windows services this depends on that perhaps have somehow been disabled I could enable again?

Sidenote.. I also did a windows restore to last week to see if that would change anything and I had no luck.

Cheers,

Ben.
aggsyb

Re: PostgreSQL service wont start.....

Postby kraada » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:08 am

Click Start type Event Viewer and click on it when it appears. Expand the Windows Logs and click Application and then look in the top center pane for errors relating to PostgreSQL -- odds are good you'll find one. Click on it and tell me what the error says in the bottom pane. That will help me know what's the best next step for you.
kraada

Postby aggsyb » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:36 pm

Ok first one is "waiting for server startup" with an information icon and then the next is an error with "2014-04-11 17:33:20 GMT FATAL: bogus data in lock file "postmaster.pid": ""

Cant beleive I didnt check the event log lol, anyway googled it and simply renamed postmaster.pid in the postgres directory to postmaster1.pid (better than deleting it) and it works fine!

Thanks for taking the time, I appreciate it!
aggsyb

Postby kraada » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:19 pm

You're welcome. You can actually delete the file with bogus data; it's not important.
kraada

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]