"FATAL : role "postgres" doest not exist"

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

"FATAL : role "postgres" doest not exist"

Postby happy4u » Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:07 am

Hi,

I know this question has been submitted a few times but after some search I could not find the particular answer for my own case.

I tried the "I already have PostgreSQL installed by another application, can I use that with PT3?" tutorial but I am not sure it worked (I only get "command not found").

Anyway I started poker again - I had PT 3 working on another computer - and I installed both postgresql and PT 3 on my new mac book, to get the following answer :

Thank you very much, I am about to hit PT 4 but before I would be glad to know it works here !

(BTW, could not connect with my former account on forum : don't have authorization ??).
happy4u

Re: "FATAL : role "postgres" doest not exist"

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:11 am

You can use the PostgreSQL installed by another application as long as it's a supported version. You would need to change the login details though to match whatever your other software has set up.

Regarding your other account if you PM me your email address I can send you a password reset email.
kraada

Postby happy4u » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:00 am

Thank for the quick answer.

I actually made myself quite unclear ; I read the FAQ database (https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/vie ... 98&p=56993) and tried to get as close as I could to my own problem through the FAQ.

I found "Most applications will have created the default user "postgres", but if yours didn't you will need to create the "postgres" user which PT3 needs.". So I thought that postgresql does not work with PT 3 because the user "postgres" has not been created (I only suppose).

Although, in my case, I did installed postgresql through another application. I directly downloaded and installed both postgresql (http://www.postgresql.org/download/) and PT 3 in the same time this week, as I thought it was needed. Was it a mistake ?

Thank you

(As for the other account, that I can access - but not see forums - I can't PM you because " We are sorry, but you are not authorised to use this feature. You may have just registered here and may need to participate more to be able to use this feature. " my nickname is "happy4u" if any helps).
happy4u

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:48 am

I've sent you an account recovery email to your windowslive email address (which is the one happy4u was under).

What version of PostgreSQL do you have installed?
kraada

Postby happy4u » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:03 am

Thank you, received it, although same problem, "Information : You are not authorised to read this forum."

PostgreSQL : Version 9.3.4.2.
happy4u

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:29 am

You can create the role postgres by running the CREATE ROLE command which is documented here. You can run this in PGAdmin III while connected to your database. You'll want it to be a superuser to keep things simple so this command should do it:
CREATE ROLE postgres SUPERUSER;
kraada

Postby happy4u » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:52 am

Feel like a very untalented noob :lol:

happy4u

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:56 pm

You need to log in with a role that does exist . . . did your other program not create a system user of any sort? If not (or you don't know what it is), then you're probably just best off starting a new clean install.
kraada

Postby happy4u » Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:49 pm

did your other program not create a system user of any sort?

As I said, I did not use any other program. This is the answer I get right from the start. I will try I a new clean install, although I simply can't find neither the "/Library/PostgreSQL.

Thank you for the help, though :)
happy4u

Postby kraada » Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Follow this guide which should walk you through it.
kraada

Next

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]