Is there a fix for the Services Privilleges problem with SQL

PostgreSQL is the database server used to store information. Do you have a question or are you having problem with PostgreSQL? If so, post them here.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Is there a fix for the Services Privilleges problem with SQL

Postby WhiteRider » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:13 am

kraada wrote:So far the known culprit list includes:
Norton Antivirus, F-Secure Antivirus, and Spampal

If you are using one of these, please disable it and make sure it is not running in resident memory and attempt to reinstall and it may resolve your issue.

If you find out it was another program, please send me a PM and let me know I'm trying to keep a list of known offenders (and while I'm going to keep checking in on this thread, a PM is faster :)

Let's add Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 to that list.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=11052#p51765
WhiteRider

Postby Gorilla » Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:32 am

i have a similar problem. first it happened that the connection to the db was lost while playing. i figured out that the postgresql service stopped somehow. restarting the service doesnt help for longer than a few minutes.

when the new pt3 version was online i downloaded and updated pt3 hoping that my problem would be fixed by that. but it isnt fixed. i cant do the housekeeping. the connection to the db is lost after 30 minutes or so. and even stranger the postgresql service isnt started automatically anymore when starting my pc. i cant even start it manually anymore.

i havent such programs on my pc listed in other threads, i didnt install anything for a while and i dont have a postmaster.pid.

any help?

edit: "2008-08-30 11:34:32 GMT FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid": Permission denied"
Gorilla

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 am

Gorilla wrote:edit: "2008-08-30 11:34:32 GMT FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid": Permission denied"

That probably means that the file exists. It is a hidden file, so make sure you have those being shown when searching for it.
This is not a PT3 problem, it's something interfering with Postgres, but we will help you find out what the problem is.
WhiteRider

Postby Gorilla » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:10 am

WhiteRider wrote:It is a hidden file, so make sure you have those being shown when searching for it.

they are shown and no such file can be found. there are 2 other postmaster files but no *.pid
Gorilla

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:17 am

Gorilla wrote:edit: "2008-08-30 11:34:32 GMT FATAL: could not create lock file "postmaster.pid": Permission denied"

Where is this from?

If that file doesn't exist, then something is stopping it being created.

Did you try the procmon thing from this post?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6332#p38285

Are you on Vista? Have you tried disabling UAC?
Tutorial: Vista-How to Disable 'User Account Control' (UAC)
WhiteRider

Postby Gorilla » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:22 am

WhiteRider wrote:

Where is this from?

from my system. dont know the english word(s)

If that file doesn't exist, then something is stopping it being created.

agree

Did you try the procmon thing from this post?
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=6332#p38285

i have a look now

Are you on Vista?

xp
Gorilla

Postby Gorilla » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:34 am

about procmon:

dont know how to use it in my case.

- i dont have an task/process id of postgres service in my taskmanager cause the service isnt started at all
- i didnt have the problem when installing the new built or any other version of pt3
Gorilla

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:54 am

I'll get someone who knows more about postgres than me to have a look at this thread.
WhiteRider

Postby kraada » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:00 am

For automatically restarting PostgreSQL on rebooting:

Right click on the “My Computer” icon (either in your start menu, or your desktop) and click manage. Now, click on the “Services and Applications” icon on the left side of this window, and double click on “Services” in the window on the right side. Scroll down until you find “PostgreSQL Database”. Right click on it, and click Properties. On the General tab, under Startup Type, choose “Automatic” and click “Ok.” The next time you restart Windows, PostgreSQL will start automatically. You can start PostgreSQL immediately by clicking Start --> Programs --> PostgreSQL --> Start Service.

As to your other issues:

Are you running any other Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Firewall program? Some of these programs if improperly (or overzealously) configured can stop PostgreSQL from running, so if you could give me a lead on which ones you might have running it would be a good start.
kraada

Postby Gorilla » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:13 am

kraada wrote:For automatically restarting PostgreSQL on rebooting:

Right click on the “My Computer” icon (either in your start menu, or your desktop) and click manage. Now, click on the “Services and Applications” icon on the left side of this window, and double click on “Services” in the window on the right side. Scroll down until you find “PostgreSQL Database”. Right click on it, and click Properties. On the General tab, under Startup Type, choose “Automatic” and click “Ok.” The next time you restart Windows, PostgreSQL will start automatically. You can start PostgreSQL immediately by clicking Start --> Programs --> PostgreSQL --> Start Service.

i know how to do this but i dont need to cause it has status "automatically". but i proved it again now. i never changed anything about it.
and i also know how to start the service manually. i tried it several times since that problem occured. it doenst work anymore.

As to your other issues:

Are you running any other Anti-Virus/Anti-Spyware/Firewall program? Some of these programs if improperly (or overzealously) configured can stop PostgreSQL from running, so if you could give me a lead on which ones you might have running it would be a good start.

i have the windowse firewall and the avira guard running.

again: i am using pt3 for months now and this problem never occured. it first happened some days ago during a session. at that time i still could start the service manually or by rebooting my system.
then i downloaded the new built, installed it and tried the housekeeping (for the new cache). it always failed after a while and since then the service isnt startable anymore (neither by booting nor manually).

so i cant even make a backup of my db to delete postgresql and reinstall it.
Gorilla

PreviousNext

Return to PostgreSQL [Read Only]