4bet preflop and fold to 5bet?

Forum for users that want to write their own custom queries against the PT database either via the Structured Query Language (SQL) or using the PT3 custom stats/reports interface.

Moderator: Moderators

4bet preflop and fold to 5bet?

Postby PoliteElephant » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:13 am

Hi all,

I'm looking to find or create this stat within PT3. Could someone please advise me on how to do this?
PoliteElephant

Re: 4bet preflop and fold to 5bet?

Postby kraada » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:06 am

This stat cannot be made perfectly - would you be happy with a stat that was 4-(or 5- or 6- or 7- or ...)bet and fold to 5-(or 6- or 7- or ...)bet?
kraada

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:01 am

To check for making specifically a 4 bet, you can check for:
holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_3bet_action='R'
..which is the action taken when facing a 3-bet).
You can't check for facing specifically a 5-bet, though.
WhiteRider

Postby kraada » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:26 am

No but if you have 4bet yourself and you face a 4bet and you fold to it, the bet you face and fold to must be one higher than the bet you made.

You would do it as:

cnt_p_4b_face_5b: sum(if[holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_4bet and holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_4bet_def_opp and lookup_actions_p.action LIKE 'RR_%', 1, 0])

Here we make sure you 4-bet, you faced a 4-bet. You raised at least twice, then made some other action - you have your initial raise, then your 4-bet, then your reaction to his 5-bet. This will eliminate times where you 4-bet or 5-bet cold, but those should be quite rare, and it's unlikely that you'd do that and then fold regardless.

cnt_p_4bet_face_5b_action_fold: sum(if[holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_4bet and holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_folded = 'P', 1, 0])

Here we check for any time you 4-bet preflop and later folded preflop. That you folded implies that you faced a 5-bet of some kind.

It's not perfect, but it should be pretty good.
kraada

Postby Darvini » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:06 am

My 4Bet and fold to 5Bet stat looks like this:

cnt_p_4B_fold: sum(if[holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_3bet_action='R' and holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_4bet_action='F', 1, 0])
cnt_p_4B_face: sum(if[holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_3bet_action='R' and holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_4bet_def_opp, 1, 0])

Shouldnt this cover all cases when player 4bets and folds to 5bet or higher without the need for specific lookup_actions? Unless you act on more then one 4+Bet. Ok pretty rare but if you 4bet and face a 5bet and 6bet and fold to 7bet what would holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_4bet_action be? Would it be the first R or second F?

edit: Then again you could remove those extremely rare cases by counting the preflop raises made. If you 4bet and fold to 5bet you can only have two raises with first raise or just one raise without the first raise.
Darvini

Postby kraada » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:43 am

I think in that case it's the last action you made (ie- the F), but I'm not 100% certain. Either way though you could also use enum_folded = 'P' which means you folded preflop to some raise - since we've already established you 4-bet, all we need to know is that you folded on that street and the fact that someone raised was implied. Either way your setup will work well.
kraada

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:15 am

For completeness, you could also use a check for:
lookup_actions_p.action LIKE '%F'
(i.e. the last preflop action was fold)
..or..
holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_fold
WhiteRider

Postby kraada » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:34 am

WhiteRider wrote:holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_fold

This is actually probably the best option as I think about it - it's fastest to check a boolean, so this will definitely be faster than the lookup_actions_p.action LIKE '%F' and even faster than enum_folded = 'P', and it will provide the same result.

Granted the speed only matters when rebuilding your cache for the most part, but since they all give the same result, no reason to use the slower one, right? :)
kraada

Postby rozyboy » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 am

Hey guys,
I came across this as I was looking for a stat that indicates how often a player 4bets and folds to a 5bet.
I tried all of these versions written here, and did not find anything really suitable.
The big problem with the ones you suggested is that for some reason it counts every hand that a player was invloved and had a 4bet and 5 bet, even if it wasn't his.

Is there any new solution to this? maybe in another post?

thanks
rozyboy

Postby kraada » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:28 pm

cnt_p_4B_fold: sum(if[holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_3bet_action='R' and holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_4bet_action='F', 1, 0])
cnt_p_4B_face: sum(if[holdem_hand_player_statistics.enum_p_3bet_action='R' and holdem_hand_player_statistics.flg_p_4bet_def_opp, 1, 0])

These columns require you to have made the 4bet.
kraada

Next

Return to Custom Stats, Reports, and SQL [Read Only]