HU Nash project

Forum for users that want to write their own custom queries against the PT database either via the Structured Query Language (SQL) or using the PT3 custom stats/reports interface.

Moderator: Moderators

HU Nash project

Postby Parket » Thu May 19, 2011 11:45 am

As I'm playing lots of HU SNGs (a lot of which SuperTurbo), the Nash Equilibrium tables (www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/hune.html) are kinda important. I just realized that PT3 could actually help a lot with this, in a number of ways. So the next days I'll try to get this developed.

A number of things I want to do :
1. Show the Nash Push/Call tables as-is. This is the easiest of all. Basically just create a HUD panel or popup that has the tables in static form.
2. In addition to 1, also show the #BB of the effective stack size. This should be almost identical to how the M statistic works. The caveat is obviously the first hand of a new blind level as the HUD display can only work off the last completed hand. Don't think there is a way to solve this though (I recall reading that this is a problem for the M stat too).
3. Only show the table that is relevant for us. If I'm in the SB, I only want to see the Push table, if I'm in the BB, I only want to see the Call table. Determining whether I'm SB or BB should be straightforward so it's just a matter of making the stats dynamic.
4. Show the table in Fold/Push way instead of numbers, based on current effective stack size (see 2). This however will only be useful if the caveat of (2) is resolved because otherwise the table will give completely wrong suggestions on the 1st hand of a new level. Also, a table like this will never show how close a certain decision is, which might be important if you want to adapt against certain villains (play looser/tighter than what Nash would suggest). A better alternative is probably to just stick to 3, but to color code the decisions into the table by comparing the effective stacksize to each number in the table.
5. Just showing me Push or Fold based on my hole cards :). Not feasible at all at this point as PT3 doesn't know the current hole cards.

If anyone has references, help, or whatever useful, I'd love to hear about it. I'll give updates in this thread..
Parket

Re: HU Nash project

Postby kraada » Thu May 19, 2011 12:07 pm

(2) Stack size in BBs is available in the repository but the limitation for the new blind level is in effect - there is unfortunately not much we can do about that at this point in time.

(3) You can't quite do this yet - the live stats mechanism doesn't have position information yet (but it will eventually).

(4) As I say, we can't resolve the new blind level issue - this is because PT3 only knows data from the prior hands that were imported. We don't know if a blind level has gone up until we import one hand at the new blind level.

(5) Correct.
kraada

Postby Parket » Thu May 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Thanks for the remarks already, so I know what is feasible and what not.

As for item 3, I had something in mind already. Since the HUD can show the #BB in the last hand, I assume it can reference the last hand. So it also has access to your position in the last hand (either directly or derived from the actions) it also knows your position in the current hand. So you're probably referring to currently there being no way to conditionally change a value in the popup based on your position. This could however be solved by putting the values from the Nash tables into variables that have the condition. Still need to look into what's possible, worst case I'd have 169 variables: one for each possible hand pair. E.g. I'd have a variable: nash_76o = if [position=SB, 10.7, 4.0] (or something along those lines).

Edit: if it's only possible to do with the 169 variables, I'll probably just stick to showing the two static tables and add some indication of what table to apply based on the position.
Parket

Postby kraada » Thu May 19, 2011 1:08 pm

The Live Stats mechanism can reference pieces of the last hand - position is not yet one of those pieces. We are planning to add it though - once it's added then you'll be able to use it as a condition on the format tab so that you only see the data from the position you're presumptively in (and for HU tournaments it should always be perfect).
kraada

Postby Parket » Fri May 20, 2011 8:00 am

Ok, time for my first contribution.
I've created a custom stat for 'Effective Stack in #BB'. Note that this is different from your 'Stack in BB' as it also has to look at villain's stacksize and take the smallest of both. This is the number to be used in the Nash tables.
Submitting it to the Stats repository.
Parket

Postby kraada » Fri May 20, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks, we appreciate it.
kraada

Postby Parket » Fri May 20, 2011 9:12 am

BTW, FYI, I just noticed a duplicate stat in the repository.
User d1ab0lic also submitted a Stack in BB statistic ('Stack Depth (In BB)') but it is identical to yours. Except that it is a bit more sloppy in the format. Also, the explanation talks about using that for Nash, which is incorrect as you need Effective Stack Size, not your own stack size.
Edit: actually there is even a 3rd one by MaxWeiss as well...
Parket

Postby kraada » Fri May 20, 2011 9:19 am

Thanks I'll make a note to look into that.
kraada

Postby Parket » Fri May 20, 2011 10:01 am

Also completed and submitted my HUD Nash Tables now.
Basic Stat group is simply the Effective Stack Size. Two popup groups then show the Push and Call Nash tables.
Parket

Postby kraada » Fri May 20, 2011 10:36 am

Very nice!
kraada

Next

Return to Custom Stats, Reports, and SQL [Read Only]