Purge players: # of hands & hide, no hands played AND ...

Any support related posts should go here.

Purge players: # of hands & hide, no hands played AND ...

Postby SugarHooves » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:07 pm

Hi,

In advance of upgrading to PT3, I want to clean out, merge, purge accumulated PT2 v.2.17.04g dbases down to the core, tighter group of players that matter, some of which I have HHs going back 4-5 years. IF the merge/purge questions I have below can be done in PT3 and not PT2, great!; and you'll let me know. My chief concern about going into PT3 to do any/all of the following being I have 4+ years of PT2 familiarity and jumping into a new program to do these items might be too trying and prone to errors.

Specifically, I have 5 key PT2 dbases having anywhere from 350,000 to 1,200,000 HHs over 4 fixed RING limit stakes. Initially, I exported/importing the HHs for these 5 dbases into 1 consolidated dbase containing some 2,750,000 HHs and 101,000 players. In looking, testing various purge functions in DB Maintenance I've confused what I can and can't do.

1. Ideally, using the Hide Ring Players feature and # of hands played, using 100 HHs played for this question (though 15 would be my starting # of HHs to test first, possibly going higher from there), if I 'hide' the Players by whatever # of HHs I determine, then, since these selected players are hidden, how do I export that dbase with only the HHs of players who have not been 'hidden' ?

and,

2. Each time, whatever dbase, I go to use the Purge Players with no hands played feature, with or without the icon/notes choice, I keep getting back a count of '0' as the # of players purged. This seems impossible. At an extreme case, there are always some players, whether an observed or a table I am actually playing that who are 'sitting out.' What am I doing wrong here?

3. The goal being as I touched upon above to go through my dbases and 'strip mine' the good stuff away from the unneeded histories. If I have missed others instructions, Help text, postings, etc. that give me better guidance, I apologize and look forward to your guidance.

ALSO, unrelated but there is one RING limit stakes name that has garbage for its name. Specifically, the name of the stakes Ring name is something like: '$0=Ycb Y-POKERSTARS' instead of the normal '$1/2. Is that corruption something I should be concerned about? How would I delete it?

Thank you for your help and guidance. Let me know.

John
SugarHooves

Re: Purge players: # of hands & hide, no hands played AND .

Postby kraada » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:34 pm

(1) Players who are hidden from view are still stored in the database. They are not actually deleted, so when migrating to PT3, that data would still be available. You cannot export hands from just those players who are not hidden as they will include players in those hands who were hidden. Think about it like this - you have a session that Hero played (and Hero is some player with a large number of hands). Many people come and go over the course of a session, so say there were 40 total players at the table against Hero at some point. Regardless how many players are hidden from view, you'd still want all hands in this session.

Either way, PT3 can handle much, much larger databases than PT2 - a 1.2M hand database is not a big deal at all. I've tested up to 15M hand databases without any real trouble, so you shouldn't feel the need to prune these databases for performance reasons when moving to PT3.

(2) Players who are sitting out aren't imported in any way in PT3 at least and I would imagine it's the same for PT2.

(3) If you still have the original hand histories from these tables, importing them into PT3 should work fine and you shouldn't need to worry about the garbage characters. If you don't, I'd recommend trying the conversion first and seeing what happens - if there's a problem with that session or sessions in PT3 we can correct it there more easily.
kraada

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:52 am

Kraada,

Thank you for the quick response, consideration and succinct information. I do appreciate it.

It's great to hear about PT3's ability to handle larger dbases. In PT3, as I understand it, PAHud functionality is built-in. Does this PAHud integrated functionality in PT3 mean that these much larger dbases that are able to be handled by PT3 are also a non-issue with PT3's PAHud functionality? I ask this because of the 'out-of-memory' error in building a PAHud cache I get in PT2's separate PAHud software integration that starts occuring with large dbases, even though I have 8Gb of RAM on an Intel i7 920.

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Postby kraada » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:07 am

PT3's HUD can handle database far in excess of PAHUD. When I said I've used 15 million hand databases, that meant not just in the tracker, but the HUD as well. I've had reports of people using databases in excess of 40 million hands in both the HUD and the tracker. The only issue with size is the space free on your hard drive - a million hands of full ring creates a database that takes up 10G of hard drive space. As long as your hard drive is large enough for your database, and your computer meets our recommended specifications (which yours definitely does), you won't have any problems.
kraada

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:14 am

Kraada,

Thank you!

John
SugarHooves

Return to PTH Support