re: postgreSQL freezes @ 'initizliae database' window ...

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

re: postgreSQL freezes @ 'initizliae database' window ...

Postby SugarHooves » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:25 pm

Hi,

User error, I admit it. I screwed up last night when making backups. I was too tired and I paid the price. Unknowingly I aborted a re-clusterering of the most current database I have been importing hands played on PokerStars. Been doing this procedure for over a year with no problems --- unless you abort when not finished.

So, long story short, knowing I have daily backups of PT v2 databases to restore from. I did:

1. Uninstalled PTv2 (I need to continue to use this for various reasons outside of this posting),
a. I renamed the PostgreSQL 'data' folder to save its contents and moved it to outside the 8.2.13 folder,

2. I uninstalled PostgreSQL v8.2.13

3. I re-booted,

4. I re-installed PT v2, no probs,

5. Now, when I begin the clean PostgreSQL v8.2.13 install and get to the 'Initalize Database' window the process freezes up. I see hard drive activity but, nothing. Just wait and wait with no conclusion. No 8.2 folder is created.

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Re: re: postgreSQL freezes @ 'initizliae database' window ...

Postby ptrack pat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:15 am

Why did you have to uninstall and reinstall PT2? And if you have backups, all you need to do is use the Utilities > PostgreSQL Database Functions window to restore the database from the last good .backup file you have.

I don't know why it would be freezing like this. Reboot the computer and try it again. Make sure you delete the "postgres" user name like I gave you directions for in the other post.
ptrack pat

Postby SugarHooves » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:40 pm

Responses below, in ALL CAPS:

ptrack pat wrote:Why did you have to uninstall and reinstall PT2?
LEARNING LONG AGO THAT IF SOFTWARE FROZEN, LOCKED, NOT WORKING, ETC. THAT ODDS WERE GREATLY IN FAVOR OF GOING BACK TO SQUARE ONE AND TO UN-INSTALL/RE-INSTALL. PTv2 IS APPARENTLY WORKING JUST FINE.

PROBLEM IS CENTERED IN BEING UNABLE TO GET POSTGRESQL V8.2.13 RE-INSTALLED AS NOTED IN PREVIOUS EMAIL. WHEN GET TO 'INITIALIZE DATABASE' WINDOW IN POSTGRESQL INSTALL PROCESS IT JUST FREEZES UP. I EVEN LET IT 'SIT' OVERNIGHT AND, NOTHING HAPPENED. TRIED 'SAFE MODE' BUT AFTER DOUBLE-CLICKING ON POSTRGRESQL *.MSI FILE I GET ERROR MESSAGE OF, "The System Administrator has set policiies to prevent this." MANY BING/GOOGLE SEARCHES CAME UP WITH LITTLE ADVICE EXCEPT ATTEMPTING TO INSTALL GPEDIT.MSC FOR XP HOME AND CHANGING WINDOWS INSTALLER SETTINGS. NO HELP WITH THAT.

And if you have backups, all you need to do is use the Utilities > PostgreSQL Database Functions window to restore the database from the last good .backup file you have.
WITH POSTGRESQL NOT INSTALLING, ONLY GET AN ERROR MESSAGE OF, "You have not yet configured your PostgreSQL database settings. Please use the Utlities/PostgreSQL Settings window to do this first." AND, WHEN GOING TO SETTINGS WINDOW, WITHOUT POSTGRESQL INSTALLED, GET ERROR MESSAGE OF, "Please enter a valid value in the "ODBC entry to use field.""

I don't know why it would be freezing like this. Reboot the computer and try it again. Make sure you delete the "postgres" user name like I gave you directions for in the other post.

YES, DID THAT AND DELETES OLD USER NAME. NOT AN ISSUE IN POSTGRESQL INSTALL PROCESS AS 'INSTALL AS SERVICE' WINDOW ALLOWS USER NAME/PASSWORD TO BE ENTERED EACH TIME I ATTEMPT POSGRESQL INSTALL.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

John
SugarHooves

Postby ptrack pat » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm

My point is you shouldn't have even needed to uninstall anything. If you have backups, use the Utilities > PostgreSQL Database Functions window to restore from the last good backup you have. No uninstalls/reinstalls needed.

I don't know why it's freezing, I have done searches, I don't know what the issue is. Try getting an older version of 8.2 from the PostgreSQL web site and try it. They have an 8.2.11 out there, and make sure you don't download the one-step installer, you need to get the pgInstaller.
ptrack pat

Return to PostgreSQL Forum