re: Service will not start ...

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

re: Service will not start ...

Postby SugarHooves » Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:28 pm

Hi,

Okay, I know I did something inadvertent to cause this, so here goes:

1. using PTv2.17.04g for months with no problems.

2. have WinXP-SP3.

3. got new motherboard 3 months ago ... only problem has been very slow shut down and start ups.

4. finally took time to attack slow start up/shut down, cleaning old .tmp files and using Advanced SystemCare 3 and Auslogics Registry Defrag and Auslogics Disk Defrag sequencially earlier today. I had used these three programs periodically in past with no problems.

5. the very slow shut down/start up disappeared.

6. went to take break and PT v2 gives me the 08001 error. found that postgreSQL service will not startup or shut down. get the 'started up and closed' read old posts in v2 post forum and tried suggested solutions, specifically,

6.a. unistall/reinstall, post 8.2.13 no go ... post service will not start
6.b unistall/reinstall and unchecked 'initialize dbase cluster' service still not start ... same start/shut down error msg. the dbases are still there
6.c. unstall/reinstall and uncheck 'install as service' ... no go ... service did not show up at all in 'services.msc'
6.d uninstall/reinstall with 'install as service' checked and 'intialize dbase cluser' checked ... service does not start.

pg-ctrl will show up in processes listing but no postgres entries show up, usually 4 when first start post.

no separate files, i.e. postmaster.pid, pg._log' are showing up in 8.2 folder.

Help ... ideas? suggestions?

Thank you.

John
SugarHooves

Re: re: Service will not start ...

Postby SugarHooves » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi,

Duh! I always forget about System Restore ... used it, it worked and back to where I was ...

Thanks for reading previous post seeking help.

Sometimes 1 step backwards IS better than 3 steps forward.

John
SugarHooves

Return to PostgreSQL Forum