PostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

PostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Postby dune86 » Mon May 19, 2008 10:02 am

Hello,
yesterday I purchased PT 3 with included PT v2 and Ace Hud.
First, I installed PT 3 with PostgreSQL, than PT v2. That´s no problem, but now under Utilities/PostgreSQL Settings I can´t select anythink at ODBC Entry To Use. It´s empty.
What can I do?

thank you for help
dune86

Re: ostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Postby ptrack pat » Mon May 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Have you imported any hands into PT3 yet?

If not, then I would suggest uninstalling PT3 and PostgeSQL using the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs window.

Then delete the remnants of the c:\program files\postgesql\8.3 folder.

Download this version of PostgreSQL:
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... .3.1-1.zip

Extract all the files out of the ZIP file into a separate folder.
Then double-click on the postgresql-8.3.msi file to install it.

The last part of the install is the Stack Builder application you can run. See here for what to select...
archives/PT2/viewtopic.php?t=24880

Then on the PostgreSQL Settings window in PT2, you would select "PostgreSQL Unicode" from the list.

Later, you can reinstall PT3 but when you do, you just need to do the install that doesn't include PostgreSQL because it's already installed.
ptrack pat

Postby SuperflyMD » Sun May 25, 2008 10:16 pm

ptrack pat wrote:Have you imported any hands into PT3 yet?

If not, then I would suggest uninstalling PT3 and PostgeSQL using the Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs window.

Then delete the remnants of the c:\program files\postgesql\8.3 folder.

Download this version of PostgreSQL:
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... .3.1-1.zip

Extract all the files out of the ZIP file into a separate folder.
Then double-click on the postgresql-8.3.msi file to install it.

The last part of the install is the Stack Builder application you can run. See here for what to select...

Then on the PostgreSQL Settings window in PT2, you would select "PostgreSQL Unicode" from the list.

Later, you can reinstall PT3 but when you do, you just need to do the install that doesn't include PostgreSQL because it's already installed.

I'm in a similar fix. I was using PT2 without SQL. Now that I've installed PT3, I tried to convert PT2 to SQL to then import into PT3. I already have hands and tournaments in PT3. Is there a way to convert the old DB without losing the data in PT3?

Thanks.
SuperflyMD

Postby ptrack pat » Sun May 25, 2008 10:24 pm

You could install an older version of PostgreSQL, then the values should show up in that field. You can download the 8.2 here...
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... 2.12-1.zip

When you install it, you are going to have to change the port # that it's going to use from 5432 to 5433 because PostgreSQL 8.3 is installed on the default port 5432.
ptrack pat

Postby polarole » Fri May 30, 2008 12:45 am

hi,

i do have the same problem and already have hands in pt3, but i dont like the idea of running 2different postgres at the same time, which is what the last post suggests?
is there another fix that allows to keep existing pt3 data?
polarole

Postby ptrack pat » Fri May 30, 2008 7:39 am

polarole wrote:hi,

i do have the same problem and already have hands in pt3, but i dont like the idea of running 2different postgres at the same time, which is what the last post suggests?
is there another fix that allows to keep existing pt3 data?

Did you read the post right above yours were I gave the directions on installing PostgreSQL 8.2??
ptrack pat

Postby polarole » Fri May 30, 2008 11:53 am

hi,

yes i did, but it sounded to me like i am running postgres version x for pt3 and postgres version y for pto, which i dont really like, but maybe i just misunderstood it?

bye
ole
polarole

Postby ptrack pat » Fri May 30, 2008 1:28 pm

You are installing v8.2.6 so that you can select a value form the ODBC Entry to Use field because you don't want to uninstall PT3, the 8.3 version is still going to be where all your databases are going to be saved.
ptrack pat

Postby fnord » Sat May 31, 2008 10:22 am

ptrack pat wrote:You are installing v8.2.6 so that you can select a value form the ODBC Entry to Use field because you don't want to uninstall PT3, the 8.3 version is still going to be where all your databases are going to be saved.

Can we then uninstall 8.2.6, or are we stuck with it having to be installed, too. I also have hands in pt3, but if I have to blow them away to only have one postgres I will. If I go that route, do I have to uninstall PT3 or just postgres? (I installed postgres by itself prior to pt3).
fnord

Postby ptrack pat » Sat May 31, 2008 10:37 am

If you actually installed PostgreSQL 8.3 by yourself before you installed PT3 (i.e. you didn't have PT3 install it for you) then you should be able to do the steps detailed here
so that you can see the ODBC entries.
ptrack pat

Next

Return to PostgreSQL Forum