PostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Forum with tips, support, etc, on using the PostgreSQL database with Poker Tracker. Please post any PostgreSQL questions here.

Re: PostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Postby ptrack pat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:34 pm

It should be able to convert. If it does, I wouldn't worry about trying to upgrade PostgreSQL.
ptrack pat

Re: ostgreSQL Settings "ODBC Entry To Use" is empty

Postby cneilan » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 pm

ptrack pat wrote:You could install an older version of PostgreSQL, then the values should show up in that field. You can download the 8.2 here...
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... 2.12-1.zip

When you install it, you are going to have to change the port # that it's going to use from 5432 to 5433 because PostgreSQL 8.3 is installed on the default port 5432.

Hi:

I currently have postgres installed on my comp and use it in conjunction with holdem manager. I now want to use the same postgres and use it with PTstud.
1) So i followed these instructionss " After PostgreSQL is installed:

1. In Poker Tracker Stud, open the Utilities/PostgreSQL Settings window and enter your user name and password information.

2. The next step would be to convert your Access database(s) to PostgreSQL, use the Utilities/Convert Database option for this purpose."
But when i bring up the postgres window, the ODBC Entry to use is empty. Since I already hands all my holdem manager hands in postgress now, should I follow the above instructions to get the ODBC to show?

2) are there any other problems I will encounter by using the same postgres db for both holdem manager and PTstud?

Thank you so much for your time and help
cneilan

Postby ptrack pat » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:24 pm

Yes, you just need to install 8.2, you don't need to use it. Installing it will create values that you can select in the ODBC Entry to Use field but the port # you enter on that window will be the one for 8.3 (default is 5432).

You can use the same PostgreSQL for both databases, they are completely separate entities.
ptrack pat

Postby rcoulombe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:53 am

So...I was doing fine with PT2 but decided to upgrade to PT3. The first thing I did after installing everything was try to convert my old PT2 database. I have not imported any hands into PT3. When I went to convert, I discovered that "ODBC Entry To Use" was empty. So, referring to this forum, I followed the instructions at the beginning of this thread, uninstalled PT3 and PostgreSQL, and deleted the remnants of the 8.3 folder.

Now the problem starts. I can't download from this link - http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... .3.1-1.zip
so I downloaded both 8.2 and the latest version of 8.4. In each case, when I go to install postgesql, I get hung up on the step where it asks for a password. I try entering a password, and it says it's incorrect. I leave it blank, and it wants me to input a password. It's like it's expecting me to know what the password is, but I have no idea what it's referring to. And this all started when I tried to convert a PT2 database into one that PT3 could read. Now, I have a purchased version of PT3 which I uninstalled...and I can't install any version of postgresql because of some password problem. To say I'm frustrated would be an understatement...
rcoulombe

Postby ptrack pat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:17 am

Use the password "dbpass" on both windows where you are asked to enter one.
Use this version of PostgerSQL 8.3...
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... .3.7-1.zip
ptrack pat

Postby rcoulombe » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:03 pm

ptrack pat wrote:Use the password "dbpass" on both windows where you are asked to enter one.
Use this version of PostgerSQL 8.3...
http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... .3.7-1.zip

OK. The link you provided doesn't work. So instead, I re-installed PT3 and the PostgreSQL version that comes with it. I left all of the settings as default when I installed it, as per this screenshot:

I went back into PT2 and to the PostgrSQL Settings box under Utilities. Port: 5432 / Server: localhost / Username: postgres / Password: dbpass / ODBC Entry To Use: PostgreSQL Unicode / Encoding: UNICODE

After pressing OK, it appears as though it accepted the settings.

I then move into the Convert Database window, check my database, and press Start Conversion. I then get this error:

Unsure as to what to do next, I decided to try to Export Hand Histories to File and then get PT3 to read that file instead of converting the database. It partially worked...not all of the hands were recognized. Any further suggestions?

Thanks.
rcoulombe

Postby ptrack pat » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:10 pm

Yes, the link does work, I got it directly from the PostgreSQL website and I tested it before I pasted it there.

You can't install PT3 and have it work with PT2 because PT2 requires you to have run the StackBuilder program to get the ODBC drivers to load. Installing PT3/PostgreSQL doesn't do this step. So you either need to uninstall PT3/PostgreSQL again and reinstall PostgreSQL from the link given above or install PostgreSQL 8.2 ( http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... 2.13-1.zip ) and then it will also put the ODBC drivers needed on your harddrive without you having to actually use 8.2.
ptrack pat

Postby rcoulombe » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:16 am

ptrack pat wrote:Yes, the link does work, I got it directly from the PostgreSQL website and I tested it before I pasted it there.

You can't install PT3 and have it work with PT2 because PT2 requires you to have run the StackBuilder program to get the ODBC drivers to load. Installing PT3/PostgreSQL doesn't do this step. So you either need to uninstall PT3/PostgreSQL again and reinstall PostgreSQL from the link given above or install PostgreSQL 8.2 ( http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/downloa ... 2.13-1.zip ) and then it will also put the ODBC drivers needed on your harddrive without you having to actually use 8.2.

OK. So i uninstalled PT3 and the version of PostgreSQL that came with it to start from scratch. I managed to download the version of 8.3 as per the link provided...my download accelerator didn't like it, so I bypassed.

Anyways, when I go to install 8.3 it comes to this screen where I begin to have problems:

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8051/postgresql83install.jpg

Account password and Verify password are blank. When I type in any password or even just leave those fields blank, as soon as I press Next, I get this Account Error:

"Invalid username specified: Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password."

It's almost as though it's looking for a specific password...which doesn't make sense.

I'm assuming this has to be installed as a service. But if I uncheck "Install as a service", I get to the next screen which says it's ready to be installed.

Thanks for your continued help.
rcoulombe

Postby ptrack pat » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:54 am

It's telling you that because the user account "postgres" still exists on your computer even after uninstalling 8.3.
Use the password "svcPASS83" on that window and then "dbpass" on the next window after that.
If that doesn't work, go to the Start menu and select "Run".
On the window that opens, type COMMAND and hit OK.
This will open a DOS window. Type the following:

net user postgres /delete

Note the space between postgres and the / and no space between the / and the delete
( i.e. net[space]user[space]postgres[space]/delete )
ptrack pat

Postby rcoulombe » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 am

ptrack pat wrote:It's telling you that because the user account "postgres" still exists on your computer even after uninstalling 8.3.
Use the password "svcPASS83" on that window and then "dbpass" on the next window after that.
If that doesn't work, go to the Start menu and select "Run".
On the window that opens, type COMMAND and hit OK.
This will open a DOS window. Type the following:

net user postgres /delete

Note the space between postgres and the / and no space between the / and the delete
( i.e. net[space]user[space]postgres[space]/delete )

Well Pat...that did the trick. I managed to convert my PT2 database into the right format, and I imported it into PT3. The only problem was it didn't convert 100% of my hands but I guess I'll live. At this point, I'm just happy to be playing and using PT3!

Thanks for all your help and patience.
rcoulombe

PreviousNext

Return to PostgreSQL Forum