Managing the Hand History Database File

Any support related posts should go here.

Managing the Hand History Database File

Postby pto432 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:25 am

Hello. I searched a bit about this topic on the forum but didn't find anything relevant to my situation.

I am running PTO 1.13.05a on WinXP and, in general, very happy with the program. My issue is that the hand history db file is getting rather large, nearly 1.5GB at this time, and of course I have a backup file of about the same size. I create a new PTO db for each month or couple of months of play, but I rarely need to go back and review hands that would be associated with prior PTO db's I've used in the past. Therefore, in the interest of keeping the HH DB smaller and more manageable for compacting and backing up, I would like to create a new HH DB to coincide with each new PTO DB I create (monthly or quarterly). In other words each month or quarter I would use a new PTO DB AND a new HH DB. Is this possible?

I found the description of "Hand History DB's - this option added in v1.08.00" in the help index and I think this could do what I want but I'm not certain. My question is would I just use a new hhdbo.mdb for each month and have this utility find/use it? I have a virgin copy of hhdbo.mdb (which I renamed initially to hhdbo_orig.mdb). So, would I just keep that copy and use it as the starting hh db each month?

I do want to keep all my previous hand histories from years past and be able to access, replay, and view them, if necessary, but I just don't want that huge file being used within PTO in general. If I needed to go back and access the old HH DB, would I just add that file to the DB Management HH DB utility?

Thanks for your help with this!!
pto432

Re: Managing the Hand History Database File

Postby ptrack mike » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 pm

You can create as many new hand history databases as you want using the utility you mentioned. Here are the instructions I give people when they want/need to create a new one:
----
What you should do is, WITH PTO CLOSED, rename the current hhdbo.mdb file to hhdbo_old.mdb and then download this new file in it's place: http://www.s217900936.onlinehome.us/hhdbo.mdb - These files would be in your c:\program files\poker tracker omaha folder if you used the default folder during install.

Go to the Utilities/Database Maintenance and Options window. Click on the Hand History DB's tab at the end of the window. Click on the "Add File" button and point it to the hhdbo_old.mdb file you just renamed.

What this will do is allow you to import new hands into the current file but also replay old hands that are in the hhdbo_old.mdb file.
----

The difference in your case is you would probably want to rename the hhdbo_old.mdb to something more descriptive. As long as you add the old files using the utility you'll always have access to the older hand histories. PTO first looks in the current hhdbo file for hands when you replay, etc. If it doesn't find the hand it will start looking in the old files.
ptrack mike

Postby pto432 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:58 pm

Thanks a million Mike - exactly the description I was hoping for!

I will try this routine at the end of the month when I start a new DB for February.

Great support, as always :-)
pto432

Postby pto432 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:32 am

Hi Mike,

I have a followup question on this same topic. I would like to add about a months worth of hands that are in the "old" hand history db into the new hh db. I tried to reimport hands into PTO but as I sort of expected, it claimed all the hands were already imported and they did not get into the new hh db. There must be a way I can convince PTO to (re)import hands into the NEW hh db that is now there though, right?

Thanks again!
pto432

Postby ptrack mike » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:49 am

No, there won't be a way to do that. You will get that message unless you import the hands into a new poker database. You can create a new poker database using File > Maintain Database Names...
ptrack mike

Postby pto432 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:11 pm

Worked perfectly creating a new database.
Thank you Mike!
pto432

Return to PTO Support