Weird Error Message

Any support related posts should go here.

Re: Weird Error Message

Postby kablooey » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:45 pm

ptrack mike wrote:Click Start > Run... > services.msc. Then click OK. Find PostgreSQL Database Service(s) in the list and then right-click, Start.

I clicked start/run/services.msc then hit start on the window below. I got this:

kablooey

Postby ptrack mike » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:58 pm

I've never seen that error, but it has happened to a PT3 user:
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=21441

I'm assuming since previously you said you didn't change anything on you computer that you didn't reinstall PostgreSQL, but see if any of that thread applies to you and helps.
ptrack mike

Postby kablooey » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:07 pm

ptrack mike wrote:I've never seen that error, but it has happened to a PT3 user:
http://www.pokertracker.com/forums/view ... 17&t=21441

I'm assuming since previously you said you didn't change anything on you computer that you didn't reinstall PostgreSQL, but see if any of that thread applies to you and helps.

I don't believe any of that applies. My firewall is off; UAC is disabled; PostgreSQL is set to run as administrator. When I go to start-programs-postresql-start service, I get:

The dots seem to reproduce forever....
kablooey

Postby ptrack mike » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 am

Did you reinstall PostgreSQL or install any program (like PT3) that uses a PostgreSQL database? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause this to just start happening.

At this point you should probably reinstall PostgreSQL. See the 4th post in this thread by ptrack pat:
http://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8977
Note: When you go to the link in step 6 you should get the latest 8.2 version from here:
ftp://ftp.at.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/binary/v8.2.18/win32/ Select postgresql-8.2.18-1.zip
ptrack mike

Postby kablooey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:12 pm

ptrack mike wrote:Did you reinstall PostgreSQL or install any program (like PT3) that uses a PostgreSQL database? That's the only thing I can think of that might cause this to just start happening.

At this point you should probably reinstall PostgreSQL. See the 4th post in this thread by ptrack pat:
http://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=8977
Note: When you go to the link in step 6 you should get the latest 8.2 version from here:
ftp://ftp.at.postgresql.org/pub/postgresql/binary/v8.2.18/win32/ Select postgresql-8.2.18-1.zip

I've reinstalled PostgreSQL 8.2 and 8.3. Neither is working and so PTS is not working.

I did find other programs on my computer that may have been causing the problem. Here is a pic from my start menu. I believe both of them were installed after I started having Postgresql problems, but I'm not really sure.

In my WIndows Task Manager - Process list, there is nothing mentioning PostgreSQL, but there is this:

When I click on "Start Service" for PostGreSQL 8.2 I get the same picture as posted earlier in this thread. When I click on "Start database" for PostGreSQL 8.3, a window opens for a fraction of a second, then closes itself before I see anything. I don't think that window accomplishes much.

What should I do now?
kablooey

Postby kablooey » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:17 pm

I also get this error message when I open PTS and then try to tell it to open my PostGreSQL database.

kablooey

Postby ptrack mike » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:31 pm

Do you need Microsoft SQL Server 2008? Try uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and see if PostgreSQL can then be started.

The PTS error is a result of the PostgreSQL server not running.
ptrack mike

Postby kablooey » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:19 pm

ptrack mike wrote:Do you need Microsoft SQL Server 2008? Try uninstalling Microsoft SQL Server 2008 and see if PostgreSQL can then be started.

The PTS error is a result of the PostgreSQL server not running.

I uninstalled all the Microsoft SQL stuff.

PTS continues not to work. I still get the same error message I got right at the beginning of this thread.

What should I do next?
kablooey

Postby ptrack mike » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:27 pm

I'm running out of ideas. Try reinstalling PostgreSQL again now that you've uninstalled Microsoft SQL.
ptrack mike

Previous

Return to PTS Support