Postres Error boxes Reason: FATAL....what do?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Postres Error boxes Reason: FATAL....what do?

Postby Jimmy_James » Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:41 pm

Hi Folks,

Let me start this by saying two things....

1. I am not good with tech/software, no experiences with databases outside of installing PT4 and Postgres and just clicking the buttons required to let them do their thing(s).

2. I don't really care too much about my old database - it's full of old hands played several years ago. I'm just recently getting back into poker and I expect to have very different stats/style and (hopefully) winrate going forward. So, if a full deletion/reinstall etc is the quickest and cleanest solution, that's fine. Please don't feel obliged to save my old hands.

The Problem: Everything I do in PT4 seems to bring up an error box saying something along the lines of "unable to do such and such, Reason: FATAL. Password authentication failed."

This occurs when I start PT4, when I try to start a new database, use an older database, and a few other things. I took screenshots but for some reason they are not visible when I go to attach them here (even when i pop them in a folder and move said folder to different locations).

PT4 does seem to be working OK - its has recorded the few hands I've played and the HUD works, but there seems to be a cap on the amount of hands it will generate stats for.

This is actually an old issue. Back in 2019 I had the same problem and I'm pretty sure I reinstalled both Postgres and PT4, but the issue persisted. It was a while ago though, so I could be wrong. I haven't really played since so there was no urgency to fix the problem.

Any advice greatly appreciated.
Jimmy_James

Re: Postres Error boxes Reason: FATAL....what do?

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:37 am

Jimmy_James wrote:The Problem: Everything I do in PT4 seems to bring up an error box saying something along the lines of "unable to do such and such, Reason: FATAL. Password authentication failed."

That error suggests that you are using the wrong password for PostgreSQL (the program where PokerTracker 4 stores your poker data). If you cannot remember the password that was used when it was installed (usually 'dbpass' or 'postgrespass') then you can override the password requirement - see this guide.
Jimmy_James wrote:PT4 does seem to be working OK - its has recorded the few hands I've played and the HUD works, but there seems to be a cap on the amount of hands it will generate stats for.

Given the error above I don't know how this would be possible and I don't know what poker site this is on but if that's on PokerStars then a limited number of hands can import via the memory grabber but for all hands to import everything would need to be configured correctly:

PokerStars Configuration Guide
Jimmy_James wrote:This is actually an old issue. Back in 2019 I had the same problem and I'm pretty sure I reinstalled both Postgres and PT4, but the issue persisted. It was a while ago though, so I could be wrong. I haven't really played since so there was no urgency to fix the problem.

If you need further assistance please send your PokerTracker 4 and PostgreSQL log files to us in a Support Ticket so we can see what is going on here and advise you accordingly:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4