Hands missing after backup on PC, and restore on laptop

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Hands missing after backup on PC, and restore on laptop

Postby markkeane » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:32 pm

Every few weeks i "get hand from file" from the processed folder on the computer/laptop, stored on my icloud. When i finish syncing i move them into another "completed transferring" file. So i am not sure if they remain in database for back up purposes, as they arent in the "processed" file.....I have 85K hands on my computer, but only 25K showing on laptop now after restore. Tilting!
markkeane

Re: Hands missing after backup on PC, and restore on laptop

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:40 am

markkeane wrote:Every few weeks i "get hand from file" from the processed folder on the computer/laptop, stored on my icloud. When i finish syncing i move them into another "completed transferring" file. So i am not sure if they remain in database for back up purposes, as they arent in the "processed" file

After hands are imported into PokerTracker 4 the information is parsed and stored in PostgreSQL (the program where PokerTracker 4 stores your poker data) so it doesn't matter what you do with the original hand history files.
markkeane wrote:I have 85K hands on my computer, but only 25K showing on laptop now after restore. Tilting!

Why would you run a database restore if you have been manually importing hands every few weeks via the cloud?

Guide: Backup & Restore

Guide: Syncing Hands Between Two Computers

These are two separate processes so can you please explain in some more detail what you've done here. A backup/restore would copy/transfer a database from one computer to another and wouldn't require any importing of hands.

If you didn't mean a database restore from a backup file are you 100% sure that you have imported all hands from your desktop onto your laptop? If so are you playing on more than one site? Maybe you have created an alias on the desktop to combine the data but not the laptop?

Guide: Player Name Aliases

What are the database sizes on each computer (Database -> Database Management)?
Flag_Hippo

Postby markkeane » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:48 am

Thank you Flag Hippo, looks like I ended up with two databases when i recently installed PostgreSQL (probably wrong to do that, but it was appearing as a user, and my macbook was going at a snails pace so i was trying lots of things to recover it).

Not sure if related, but on one machine i exported all hands to dropbox, and tried to then use "get hands from disk" function, but it kept crashing PT4 after a few min. Not sure why? Suspect this was why i was getting 20k hands instead of 83K.

Thanks for the links, i may have been over complicating the sync stuff. Can i check this....can i set up hands to sync on both machines to the same processed folder in dropbox, then use the "get hands from disk" when using the other machine drawing from the same file. Then occasionally move all the hands from both machines into an "already processed" folder simply to avoid duplicates/time for this sync? This is how i reach the https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4 ... -computers tutorial. Cheers
markkeane

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:32 pm

markkeane wrote:Thank you Flag Hippo, looks like I ended up with two databases when i recently installed PostgreSQL (probably wrong to do that, but it was appearing as a user, and my macbook was going at a snails pace so i was trying lots of things to recover it).

OK. The postgres user appearing is normal and removing it because will break your PostgreSQL installation but if you want to hide that user see this guide.
markkeane wrote:Not sure if related, but on one machine i exported all hands to dropbox, and tried to then use "get hands from disk" function, but it kept crashing PT4 after a few min. Not sure why? Suspect this was why i was getting 20k hands instead of 83K.

Enable logging in PokerTracker 4 via 'Configure -> Options' and then try importing in smaller batches rather than one large import. If it still crashes then send us this log file in a Support Ticket before restarting PokerTracker 4:

\Users\{Mac Login}\Library\Application Support\PokerTracker 4\Logs\PokerTracker4.log
markkeane wrote:Can i check this....can i set up hands to sync on both machines to the same processed folder in dropbox, then use the "get hands from disk" when using the other machine drawing from the same file. Then occasionally move all the hands from both machines into an "already processed" folder simply to avoid duplicates/time for this sync?

Yes you can do that although if you do as the guide suggests and have each machine use its own folder then you would know which hands came from which computer and you would avoid some of the duplicates this way e.g:

Dropbox\Hands\Desktop
Dropbox\Hands\Laptop

so when syncing your laptop you only need to import from the desktop folder and vice versa. Periodically you can then archive all the hands you have imported from these folders into a single folder e.g:

Dropbox\Hands\Processed
Flag_Hippo

Postby markkeane » Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:58 pm

all sorted. Thank you kindly.
markkeane

Postby WhiteRider » Sat May 01, 2021 3:06 am

That's good to hear - thanks for letting us know!
WhiteRider

Return to PokerTracker 4