Newer version (or multiple versions) of PostgreSQL?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Newer version (or multiple versions) of PostgreSQL?

Postby bennunn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:43 pm

I currently run postgreSQL 9.6 which works fine with my PokerTracker 4.

However, I will soon need to use version 12 or later for a completely unrelated project. This will need to run on my main desktop rig that I usually use for poker.

So, what are my options? (I'd like to avoid anything really radical like dual-booting or VMs because that would be majorly inconvenient).

- Will PT4 still work if I upgrade my postgreSQL installation to a newer version?
- Can I run multiple versions of postgreSQL on the same Windows installation without things going wrong?
- Is there some other better way of doing this?

I'm not a database expert and am wary about changing stuff because I broke PT4 a few years ago because of some postgreSQL issues and it took a lot of work to fix!
bennunn

Re: Newer version (or multiple versions) of PostgreSQL?

Postby WhiteRider » Sat May 01, 2021 2:58 am

- Will PT4 still work if I upgrade my postgreSQL installation to a newer version?

To use PT4 with a newer version of PostgreSQL you would need to make a Backup of your database in the old version and then update your config in PT4 to look for the newer version, then restore the backup again. However, significantly newer versions of PostgreSQL have not been fully tested with PT4 and are not guaranteed to work so this is probably not your best option.

- Can I run multiple versions of postgreSQL on the same Windows installation without things going wrong?

Yes, this should be fine. When you install the new PostgreSQL version be sure to install to a different port number (PT4 installs PostgreSQL using port 5432) and they will run independently.
WhiteRider

Return to PokerTracker 4