Database restoration

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Database restoration

Postby tannenj » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:22 am

Hi,

I'm an old-school player who saved a .backup file (from my old PT3 database) on a flash drive for a number of years, and now I'm hoping to use this file to restore the old database. I'm actually not looking to use PT4 actively moving forward, but it'd be fun to have the ability to browse my old database.

I have a 2-GB .backup file (as mentioned), and I managed to find my old PT3 registration code. However, I'm on Windows 10, so it doesn't appear that I'll have the ability to install PT3.

Could someone advise, as far as my best course? I'm pretty sure I'll have to install PT4; will I have to pay? (Not a big deal; just want to see what my options are.) Following installation, what'll be the easiest way to restore my database from the .backup file? Note: I recall making modifications to my PT3 interface back in the day, too (adding rakeback tracking, stuff like that) ... is it possible to restore this, given that I'll be on PT4?

Appreciate any input that might be helpful...
tannenj

Re: Database restoration

Postby tannenj » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:47 am

Update:

It turns out that I also have the database on an old laptop (running on Windows 7) in PT3, and it's fully functional.

What's the best way to establish the ability to view the database on my new laptop (running on Windows 10)? Obviously, I can view it on the old laptop, but the old laptop is slow.
tannenj

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:27 am

You can install PokerTracker 3 on Windows 10 - it's just not a supported operating system since it didn't exist during the lifespan of PokerTracker 3:

Download PokerTracker 3

Make sure you install PokerTracker v3.15 and then install the v3.15.3 patch over the top of that.
Flag_Hippo

Postby tannenj » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:15 am

Oh, that's great. And thank you for your quick response.

I've installed PT3 and the patch, but now I'm trying to run the program, and it prompted me for some sort of PostgreSQL download. Seems like I've got a problem, b/c this is taking hours, and the download speed says 0 KB/s, as you can see. Should I cancel this?
Attachments
dl.png
tannenj

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:08 pm

You can download and install PostgreSQL manually from here.
Flag_Hippo

Postby tannenj » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:41 pm

Thanks, but I've downloaded it from that link, and when I open PT3, it's still prompting me to install PostgreSQL. If I select Yes, the same thing happens as before (the download gets nowhere). If I select No, I get the prompt below, and when I click Connect on that, it gives me the error message "Unable to connect to this database. Please check the configuration."
Attachments
Untitled.png
tannenj

Postby Flag_Hippo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:49 am

We do not support PokerTracker 3 anymore and it will not have been tested extensively with the versions of PostgreSQL that are currently available. You can try older versions of PostgreSQL such as v8.4 by downloading that from here and there is a PokerTracker 3 guide here. You can also try PostgreSQL v9.0 from here which I'd recommend if your database backup was done in that version and not v8.4.
Flag_Hippo

Postby tannenj » Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:17 pm

Cool. My database backup was done in 8.3, FWIW, and I downloaded 8.4 from your link and it works.

Appreciate you guys.
tannenj

Return to PokerTracker 4