Restore after full hdd backup

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Restore after full hdd backup

Postby Zeppelmore » Thu Jul 22, 2021 10:19 am

Hello,
following a reset that brought the system back to factory conditions, I must now restore PT4 to normal operation.
For me it would be very important not to lose the tags and hand notes.
Is this possible having available the entire backup of the hard disk on which PT4 and the SQL database were installed?
How can I do? Is there a detailed guide?
I repeat: restoring tags and hand notes is essential for me.
Windows 10 64 bit.
Zeppelmore

Re: Restore after full hdd backup

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:40 pm

If you have a database backup you can restore it:

Guide: Backup & Restore

If you do not have a database backup then you will need the original PostgreSQL data folder. For example:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\x.y\data

where x.y is your PostgreSQL version number. With this folder in place you can run the PostgreSQL installer for that same version and it should detect the existing data folder. If you keep the data folder in a custom location you would need to direct the PostgreSQL installer there instead when it asks for the data folder location.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Zeppelmore » Fri Jul 23, 2021 10:32 am

I have this file: C: \ ProgramFiles \ PostgreSQL \ x.y \ data where my version is 9.3; I can't get it to work via the installer you gave me. It recognizes that it has found a backup on the removable disk but then it doesn't work: I HAVE NO ACCESS TO THE DATABASE.

Is there a detailed step-by-step guide?
Then I also have the copy of PT4 and all its folders.
I have the hard disk copy made with the operating system not started.
Thank you for your time.
Zeppelmore

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:31 pm

There isn't a detailed guide for this when you don't have a backup file created by PokerTracker 4. If the 'data' folder you have was created using a 64-bit version of PostgreSQL v9.3 then you would need to use this installer. Copy the directory you have on your removable drive to your computer so you have this:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\9.3\data

Right-click the PostgreSQL installer file and run as administrator. For the two password boxes you can use "dbpass" which is what PokerTracker 4 uses by default. When running the PostgreSQL installer to the default location it should recognise the existing 'data' directory. Take note whether the installer says it completes successfully or not. When the installer says it's finished, take the check mark out of the "Stack Builder" option and click the "Finish" button. If PostgreSQL installs sucessfully you can add the existing database(s) to your PokerTracker 4 configuration via 'Database -> Database Management -> New -> Browse Databases'.

If the PostgreSQL installer does not complete successully send us this file in a Support Ticket with a link to this thread:

C:\Users\{Windows Username}\AppData\Local\Temp\install-postgresql.log

If you do not see the AppData folder in Windows File Explorer then please refer to this guide.
Flag_Hippo

Postby Zeppelmore » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:38 pm

Thanks for your patience.
Yes, the "data" folder was created with a 64-bit version. At least it should, the operating system is w10 home 64bit.

Now the procedure you made me perform is successful, but:
1 if you do this without beckup copy of "data" the installer lets you choose a password, which then actually makes you connect.
2 If instead you insert the folder "data" in the path that the installation program uses, it recognizes the folder and says that the settings found there will be used. It does not let you choose a passw in this case. INSTALLATION IS SUCCESSFUL. But if I try to connect it says it fails.

Now, PT4 hasn't even started, it asks for connection first. And it fails.
If I try through PGadmin, same result with detailed error message.

I have retrieved the PT4 config file to make sure that the passw port number user ect is correct. They are correct, but it doesn't work.

What should I do?

Let's avoid misunderstandings, here's what I did:

1 copied the "data" folder to the following path from the removable disk: C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PostgreSQL \ 9.3
2 launched the installation program, chosen the path C: \ Program Files (x86) \ PostgreSQL \ 9.3 \ data when it asks where I want to save the data
3 recognizes the beckup and says that the settings found here will be used
4 there is no possibility to choose a passw
5 installation is successful
6 I launch PT4, it asks for connection, I click "connect" but it fails (at that point I click CANCEL and pt4 closes)
7 I open pgadmin, to try to connect, when it asks for the password I insert but it fails (here opens a window with detailed error)

* point 7 and 8 "the data for the connection are correct", are the default ones for port number passw ect (checked through the config file retrieved from the beckup disk)
Zeppelmore

Postby WhiteRider » Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:45 am

Please follow this part of Flag_Hippo's message so that someone can check your log file and see what is wrong.

Flag_Hippo wrote:If the PostgreSQL installer does not complete successully send us this file in a Support Ticket with a link to this thread:

C:\Users\{Windows Username}\AppData\Local\Temp\install-postgresql.log

If you do not see the AppData folder in Windows File Explorer then please refer to this guide.
WhiteRider

Postby Zeppelmore » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:05 am

Hello, I have opened a Support Ticket. To be clear, PostgreSQL installer completes successfully.
It appears that the service starts and stops immediately after a few seconds if you use the beckup "data" folder from the external drive.
Hope this help. Waiting from your reply , have a nice day and thank you very much.
Zeppelmore

Return to PokerTracker 4