Cant log in to postgres

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Cant log in to postgres

Postby CherryWaves » Tue Sep 07, 2021 2:35 pm

Hi I posted this yesterday but it seems my post was either moved or deleted.

When I open PT4 II get an error message that says this:
Unable to login to database (postgres). Reason: could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is the server running on host "???" and accepting TCP/IP connections on port 5432?

I ave been using this database for many years and this computer and havent changed anything recently, except for my home address.

What should I do? Thanks
CherryWaves

Re: Cant log in to postgres

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Sep 08, 2021 4:21 am

Go to this folder:

C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\x.y\data\

where x.y is your PostgreSQL version although you may have it installed in another location. Delete the 'postmaster.pid' file inside that folder (not 'postmaster.opts' which may be there too), reboot your computer and try starting PokerTracker 4 again.

If that does not resolve the issue then click your Windows Start button then type the following command:

services.msc 

and click on it when it appears. Do you see the PostgreSQL service in the list? What is its 'Status' and 'Startup Type'? If the PostgreSQL service is listed but not starting then open the Event Viewer (in the same way - if you type 'event' you should see it). In the top left section, expand "Windows Logs" and click on "Application". Do you see any recent errors in the top center section for PostgreSQL? If you do let us know what they say.
Flag_Hippo

Postby CherryWaves » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:04 pm

Hi,

I have navigate to this folder but don't see the relevant file. The only one postmaster i see is the .opts file. Do you know where it could be located?

Thanks
CherryWaves

Postby CherryWaves » Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:06 pm

I also dont see anything come up when I type services.msc
CherryWaves

Postby Flag_Hippo » Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:25 am

CherryWaves wrote:I have navigate to this folder but don't see the relevant file. The only one postmaster i see is the .opts file. Do you know where it could be located?

If the file isn't there then I need to know the status of your PostgreSQL service in Windows Services.
CherryWaves wrote:I also dont see anything come up when I type services.msc

Typing after clicking your Windows Start button? That is standard Windows functionality and should work:

ee0ea6d05f8d4d14e86a2ec58a566c17.png

You can also access your Windows Services via the Windows Control Panel (Start -> Windows System -> Windows Administrative Tools -> Services).
Flag_Hippo

Postby CherryWaves » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:14 pm

Hey, sorry I have opened services and yes postgres is there. It says it is disabled.

Should I try change this here?

Thank you!
CherryWaves

Postby Flag_Hippo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 4:45 am

PostgreSQL isn't going to start if it has been disabled on your computer. Go back to services.msc, right-click the PostgreSQL service and select 'Properties'. Change the 'Startup type:' from 'Disabled' to 'Automatic' and then click 'Apply'. The 'Start' button will be available now so click it to start the PostgreSQL service and provided it starts OK you can try PokerTracker 4 again.
Flag_Hippo

Postby CherryWaves » Fri Sep 10, 2021 3:08 pm

Got it working again, thanks flag_hippo.

Also want to thank you for all the great support over the years. I moved from HM2 many years ago due to the laggy software and terrible support.

So greatly appreciate all the help!
CherryWaves

Postby Flag_Hippo » Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:24 am

Thanks for the feedback and I'm pleased to hear that you've resolved the problem.
Flag_Hippo

Return to PokerTracker 4