Does Tune Postgresql work with v10 after upgrade?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Does Tune Postgresql work with v10 after upgrade?

Postby ethanrox » Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:34 pm

Hello,

I saw https://www.pokertracker.com/guides/PT4/databases/how-to-manually-update-postgresql-to-v10 that we can use v10 v postgresql server.
Are the newer versions 4.15.34+ using a new "Tune PostgreSQL" logic? I remember reading that although 9.6 was the latest supported version, only 9.3 had the tuning logic - EDIT - found link:
https://www.pokertracker.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=98754&p=356583&hilit=performance+tuning#p356583
"If you are using PostgreSL v9.3 then you can tune it but that isn't currently supported with later versions of PostgreSQL so later versions would require manual tuning. "
Is this still applicable?
ethanrox

Re: Does Tune Postgresql work with v10 after upgrade?

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:19 am

Yes that is still the case. I will remind the development team about this and you can open a Support Ticket to be notified of any update.
Flag_Hippo

Postby ethanrox » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 pm

Flag_Hippo wrote:Yes that is still the case. I will remind the development team about this and you can open a Support Ticket to be notified of any update.

Great, thanks.
Maybe also describe what the tuning actually does in terms of changes to postgres configuration.
ethanrox

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:43 pm

I don't know the specifics of the changes but the automatic tuning in PokerTracker 4 could adjust any of these settings in the postgresql.conf file based on system specifications such as available RAM:

'shared_buffers'
'work_mem'
'wal_buffers'
'maintenance_work_mem'
'effective_cache_size'
'checkpoint_segments'
'random_page_cost'

You can see what each of those settings does here.
Flag_Hippo

Postby ethanrox » Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:55 pm

Thanks.
So, PT4 modifies the postgresql.conf for those settings for the tuning.
Any idea what the values for 9.3 were?
ethanrox

Postby Flag_Hippo » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:38 am

Settings are system specific so there isn't a single set of values. If you want to see what the v9.3 tuning does for your system you can install a temporary second instance of PostgreSQL, run the tuning in PokerTracker 4 when connected to it and then review the changes that were made in the postgresql.conf file (they will all be commented).
Flag_Hippo

Postby ethanrox » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:59 am

Flag_Hippo wrote:Settings are system specific so there isn't a single set of values. If you want to see what the v9.3 tuning does for your system you can install a temporary second instance of PostgreSQL, run the tuning in PokerTracker 4 when connected to it and then review the changes that were made in the postgresql.conf file (they will all be commented).

Thanks for the advice!
ethanrox

Return to PokerTracker 4