Converting hh to H2N format

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Converting hh to H2N format

Postby jones8552 » Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:44 pm

I use both PT4 and H2N. 80% of my database (10 million+ hh) uses 'player names' not 'id' as I didn't realize it made a difference until I was so far along I couldn't justify switching and losing the hh I'd accumulated. H2N only reads 'id' and no easy solutions exist that I'm aware for converting 'non-standard' hh formats into standard, widely recognized ones. So basically after months of looking into it off and on, I figured out how to use text editing software to reformat the hand histories so both pt4 and h2n will read them.

A few questions:

I have tens of millions of duplicates and I've been importing all my hand histories into pt4 on a secondary cpu; with the idea that I'll then export them and the duplicates will be gone. Are there any alternatives to this?

On above average cpu's is there a # of hands per file that pt4 reads faster than any other? Obviously, 1 hand per file would be the slowest import option but does the speed start to peak somewhere between 500-20k per file?

9 times out of 10 when exporting, the hh exactly matches the 'hands-per-file' specification but occasionally pt4 just starts making shit up; does this mean I need to re-index or update cache?

Is pt4 import/export/processing speed etc. affected by the # of stats (custom or otherwise) in a database?

I basically want to import/export as large # of hh as fast as possible and am willing to temporally strip pt4 of functionality if it will hasten the outcome.

I'm long past serving as a proto-typical example of sunk-cost fallacy, haha. Any suggestions or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
jones8552

Re: Converting hh to H2N format

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 3:50 am

jones8552 wrote:I have tens of millions of duplicates and I've been importing all my hand histories into pt4 on a secondary cpu; with the idea that I'll then export them and the duplicates will be gone. Are there any alternatives to this?

I'm not aware of an alternative method.
jones8552 wrote:On above average cpu's is there a # of hands per file that pt4 reads faster than any other? Obviously, 1 hand per file would be the slowest import option but does the speed start to peak somewhere between 500-20k per file?

I don't know about a peak import speed with regards to the number of hands in a single file and they are many different factors that can affect things however import speeds can drop over large imports so in those cases we recommend splitting larger imports into batches.
jones8552 wrote:9 times out of 10 when exporting, the hh exactly matches the 'hands-per-file' specification but occasionally pt4 just starts making **** up; does this mean I need to re-index or update cache?

That shouldn't have anything to do with the cache but if you are having an issue you can report it to us in a Support Ticket with your support bundle:

Tutorial: Reporting A Problem
jones8552 wrote:Is pt4 import/export/processing speed etc. affected by the # of stats (custom or otherwise) in a database?

PokerTracker 4 performs database maintenance when you import hands so in cases where a database is larger because it has custom statistics then that maintenance may take longer to complete when importing large quantities of hands.
Flag_Hippo

Postby jones8552 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:14 am

What do you consider a large import? Or a good baseline for the size of an import? Do you determine it by both number of files and total gigs?

"That shouldn't have anything to do with the cache"

Yeah, last night before going to bed I started a full cache rebuild on a 230 gig database, it reduced its size by 5 gigs; but when I started an export for all hh @ 10k hands a file (it's not finished) the output is currently 19,118 files in 4 folders (1.85 gigs). Thoughts?
jones8552

Postby Flag_Hippo » Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:02 pm

jones8552 wrote:What do you consider a large import? Or a good baseline for the size of an import? Do you determine it by both number of files and total gigs?

A large import would be many thousands of hands but there isn't a single baseline I can recommend as there are many different factors that affect import speed and what happens on one system isn't necessarily going to be the case on another.
jones8552 wrote:Yeah, last night before going to bed I started a full cache rebuild on a 230 gig database, it reduced its size by 5 gigs; but when I started an export for all hh @ 10k hands a file (it's not finished) the output is currently 19,118 files in 4 folders (1.85 gigs). Thoughts?

Exported hand histories are just text files similar to the hand histories that were originally imported from but the actual database itself is much more complex so if you are expecting the two to be a similar size that's not going to be the case.
Flag_Hippo

Postby jones8552 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:32 pm

jones8552 wrote:if you are expecting the two to be a similar size that's not going to be the case.

I regularly import a large folder where each text file only contains 1-2 hands. Then export them all in a single large file. But when exporting an entire database in the millions, I'll get thousands of text files with a single hand in it regardless of the specifications. I'm trying to eventually edit the text files and text editing software becomes significantly slower the more files in a folder, it seems.
jones8552

Return to PokerTracker 4