CPU Usage

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

CPU Usage

Postby PJs Ronin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:04 am

I played a couple of small SnGs on pokerstars, finished up and took the cat for a walk. I left hand import running and the poker client sitting on the front lobby. I've had Task Manager running all morning to monitor CPU/Mem usage. The attached image refers.

I noticed that the CPU had pretty much topped out even though I was AFK for more than 20 minutes. Puter's hard drive access light was also working overtime. I put it down to PT4 doing some maintenance. I stopped hand import and CPU dropped down to squadoosh and stayed there... a little surprising as there hadn't been anything to import for a while.

I restarted hand import and CPU load went to back to approx 50% and stayed there. This is a lot of CPU load for something that is not doing anything.

Edit: HD access light still flashing like mad.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
PJs Ronin

Re: CPU Usage

Postby StevenM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:03 am

Step 1 - restart your VM

Step 2 - Please click on processes and sort by CPU

Step 3 - Attempt to recreate the problem, and let us know what you see.

This may not be related to PokerTracker, it might be your OS itself. The reason why I wonder if it is your OS is because if PokerTracker has nothing to import then it has nothing to save on the hard drive via Postgres - the thrashing sound is a very good clue that can help us find the cause.

One last question, do you have NoteTracker enabled, and if so do you have any cash hands or did you add any tournament NoteTracker rules?
StevenM

Postby PJs Ronin » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:47 am

You know how these things go. Just when you think you've found the 'clue' of the century someone comes and steals your horse.

I can see the logic in your suggestions, but b4 I got a chnce to do much of that the problem seemed to self correct. I restarted PT4 (made a HUD profile change and some of these changes don't take effect without a restart) and also swapped from a single PLO to a single NLHE table... thus different profile (not that I think that matters for much). Here is the current CPU track:
Screenshot-2.png

The major peaks are when I told PT4 to save a profile, or set that profile default for table type. The rest of the track, hovering around 5-15% is for normal hand import / HUD display. Happy with that.

NoteTracker was/is not engaged.

The major CPU usage last time was with pokertracker4.exe, not pokertrackerhud4.exe.

Bottom line: A restart seemed to have a positive effect. This problem happened during my first session with PT4 setting aliases, importing hands, displaying a HUD and me roaming around through the reports/stats/windows/etc. Is it possible PT4 was doing a bunch of background db stuff just to get started?

Btw, PT4 can tell the difference between a PLO and NLHE table (PT3 had probs in this regard) and can set the appropriate HUD. My happy index just went up by a factor of 3.
PJs Ronin

Postby StevenM » Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:57 am

All in all, with some rare exceptions (bugs), you will find that PT4 is not a CPU/memory hog. Happy to hear your in good shape now!
StevenM

Postby kraada » Sun Dec 18, 2011 10:56 am

Yes, PT4 can put different profiles on Omaha tables vs Holdem tables. You can set what HUD profile you want to display where by clicking Hud --> Edit Hud Options --> Profile Select.
kraada

Return to PokerTracker 4