Ways to increase hud performance?

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Ways to increase hud performance?

Postby guitarizt » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm using a dual core amd 2.10 GHz (4000+) cpu with 4gb of ram. My bottleneck is the cpu. I can't 18 table on merge because the hud lags too much, but in fairness it lags with HM2 as well. HM1 lags less though and I couldn't even 8 table on everleaf with HM2.

I'm only using name/hands/vpip/pfr/3bet/af. I am using a transparent background though which probably makes a big difference? The only thing is it's really hard to see everything without it on. I'm so close to being able to ditch HM1 for good if I could get PT4 to work just as well 18 tabling.
guitarizt

Re: Ways to increase hud performance?

Postby WhiteRider » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:19 am

Running a lot of tables will always load the system somewhat, and different poker clients use different amounts of resources.
Can you describe exactly what you mean by "lag" in this case - exactly what sort of behaviour do you see?
WhiteRider

Postby guitarizt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:19 pm

WhiteRider wrote:Running a lot of tables will always load the system somewhat, and different poker clients use different amounts of resources.
Can you describe exactly what you mean by "lag" in this case - exactly what sort of behaviour do you see?

When I click the buttons it takes an extra second or two to register which is really tough when playing 18 tables. An extra couple seconds on 5 tables and I'm close to timing out. I 1 table stack and I could try tiling but it'll probably do the same thing there.

If I play with no hud everything is like instant from the time I click the fold/raise/call button to the time a new table pops up. Unfortunately even with HM1 it's not instant and everything gets slower. With PT4 it's even worse. HM2 is by far the worst but I haven't used it since beta. I'm pretty sure it's because my cpu is always maxed out. I'll have to try a session without the transparent hud background on and going back to the solid black to see if I can play without it getting in the way because I think the transparent background is really cpu intensive.
guitarizt

Postby guitarizt » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:23 pm

OK nm just played a session with solid background and it runs better than HM1 now. I made the font smaller so I could see everything on the table fine.
guitarizt

Postby WhiteRider » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks for following up - that's interesting to hear. Using translucency does add some extra processing, but it's good to know just how much difference it makes.
WhiteRider

Postby Josh » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:12 pm

guitarizt wrote:OK nm just played a session with solid background and it runs better than HM1 now. I made the font smaller so I could see everything on the table fine.

I'm glad to hear this. Is there any lag remaining? We want all our users to be able to play as many tables as they desire without performance issues.
Josh
Site Admin

Postby guitarizt » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Josh wrote:
guitarizt wrote:OK nm just played a session with solid background and it runs better than HM1 now. I made the font smaller so I could see everything on the table fine.

I'm glad to hear this. Is there any lag remaining? We want all our users to be able to play as many tables as they desire without performance issues.

I want to play at least 2 more sessions each with PT4 and HM1. I turned off transparent background in HM1 and I think it's insanely fast now and I think PT4 _maybe_ still lags, but it could have been because I was tired and not used to 18 tabling and just happened to get put into a lot of tough spots yesterday when I was using PT4.

I'll probably have to make do with PT4 eventually if HM stops supporting HM1. There's no need for me to use HM1 anymore either if PT4 hud runs just as well. I have all performance settings in win7 off too and everything else is closed while I play except merge client and PT4.
guitarizt

Postby tarix » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:36 pm

Do you have a graphics card in that computer or are you using built-in graphics?
tarix
Developer

Postby guitarizt » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:19 pm

tarix wrote:Do you have a graphics card in that computer or are you using built-in graphics?

geforce 8600 gt

After using both HM1 and PT4 some more HM1 is faster than PT4 even with transparent background on. I've found I need transparent background on for some reason. I don't think I've had a winning session with it off. I was using PT4 4.01.4 beta and HM1 1.12.06.

PT4 lags a lot when I get to 18 tables. I'm probably in the minority since I'm 18 tabling with a slower cpu now but I'm going to have to stick to HM1 for now when playing. I think most of it has to do with the cpu being busy importing hands, but maybe it's just hud being cpu intensive.
guitarizt

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:33 am

Can you tell us what is using your CPU time?
Is it the poker client, PT4 tracker, PT4 hud, or postgres process? (you can see this in Task Manager > Processes - sort by CPU to see the busiest processes at the top)
Have you completely disabled autonotes?
What hud Profile are you using?
WhiteRider

Next

Return to PokerTracker 4