Adjust session stakes and update cache

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

Re: Adjust session stakes and update cache

Postby Messenjupp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:13 am

WhiteRider wrote:
Messenjupp wrote:And finally...

how does adjusting session stakes exactly work? Like how do you know it is 6max or nitring? Lets say that I sit at a nitring table that is currently only played by 5 players...so I'm the 6th person...after ten hands the table breaks up and I leave too...since there were never more than 6 players at the table...will this count as 6max or still nitring? I'm just asking cause after importing my 888 hands I realized that I have some HU hands and I 100% never sat at any HU table...I never payed headsup and I always exclude it from filters....its only 5 hands but its still strange cause again...I never sat at any HU table but I'm also 100% sure that I played more than 5 hands HU too...if I had to guess I would say maybe 100 or so...but almost all were HU after table breaking up..but after looking at those 5 hands I recognize the player as one starting tables and always sitting at nitring tables alone and waiting for someone to join..so there is a chance that sat with him and played those 5 hands and maybe left...so I guess the adjusting stakes works something like that PT4 goes through the whole history of the table and tries to figure out how many players max sit on it and goes from there....can that be it?

Just to clarify this for you - you're right, since 888 do not include the table size in their hand histories we estimate the table size based on the maximum number of active players. If 6 or less players are involved it will be treated as a 6-max session.
We're in contact with the sites which do not include this information to try to persuade them to add it, but until that time we have to make a best guess. You can correct any incorrect sessions using Database > Adjust Stakes.

But does this mean it will go through one txt.file and when there is one hand with 9 players and 800 hands with 6 players it will import it as nitring or will it basically just treat every hand on its own so if I have a txt file where I played the first ten hands 9 handed and after that all of a sudden 4 players leave so I have to play the next hands 5 handed and therefore it imports ten hands as nitring and the rest as 6max?
Messenjupp

Postby WhiteRider » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:48 am

It is on a per-session basis - a session can only ever be one table size.
So if you play at a 9 seat table with 6 or less players the whole time it will be classed as 6-max (as we don't know any different), but if you play at least one hand in that session with 7 or more then PT will know it must have been a full ring table and it will be labelled as such (or rather, not labelled as 6-max).
WhiteRider

Postby Messenjupp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:57 am

Ok..but what about the hands I imported? Cause I did export all my 888 hands I had on HM2 and those are 1k hands per txt.file...I have not looked through those txt files but I can imagine its easily over ten if not up to 50 different tables depending on what game I play...cause at 6max tables break pretty fast...so what if the first 20 hands I played on a table called "Ivey" and its a nitring table but those 20 hands I play there are 6 players or less....and later the day I start playing at that table again and this time its all 9 handed...and those hands are within the 1k txt file but in the end of the file...so will PT4 go through the whole file and realize Ivey is a 9 handed table or will it only look as far as the next table begins and therfore classify the first 20 hands as 6max?
Messenjupp

Postby Messenjupp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:46 am

Also having the issue with import speed again...was playing earlier and at the end I used getting hands when playing to import the hands...its had imported 2176 hands so far and its running for over an hour...it is currently doing the second update cache/adjust session stakes...first one took almost half an hour (was after about 1700ish hands)....adjusting session stakes usually takes only a few seconds so its mostly updating the cache....but this time HM2 runs too.
Messenjupp

Postby Messenjupp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:05 pm

This is getting kinda ridiculous...pretty sure you are looking into this..I added the newest pic...over those 2181 hands it has updated the cache 4 times aleady (including the current one) and it is importing for over 2 hours...the pic also shows...after updating the cache for almost 45 minutes it seriously imported 5 hands until it went into update cache mode again...and this update is running for over 45 minutes already too..it is now 18:03 over here.

Also please get back to my on some of the questions I asked in this thread earlier...like what happens when we play long sessions...can it happen that PT4 all of a sudden decides I need to update the cache so it does not import new hands for however time updating the cache needs?
Attachments
PT4ImportSlow4.jpg
Messenjupp

Postby kraada » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:22 pm

The update cache you're seeing here is to update things after Adjust Stakes fires. We need to update the cache then in cases where some session is moved from one stake to another - we need to remove the stats from the first stake type and put them in the second stake type in the cache (otherwise we'd have problems when a heads up session is reclassified as 6max, for example).

That the amount of time you are seeing here is far beyond what we would expect and we will continue to investigate what is going on.

For normal hands without AATL turned on, the cache is updated after every hand when getting hands while playing and it should take a fairly trivial amount of time to run.
kraada

Postby Messenjupp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:34 pm

kraada wrote:The update cache you're seeing here is to update things after Adjust Stakes fires. We need to update the cache then in cases where some session is moved from one stake to another - we need to remove the stats from the first stake type and put them in the second stake type in the cache (otherwise we'd have problems when a heads up session is reclassified as 6max, for example).

That the amount of time you are seeing here is far beyond what we would expect and we will continue to investigate what is going on.

For normal hands without AATL turned on, the cache is updated after every hand when getting hands while playing and it should take a fairly trivial amount of time to run.

Does this mean that it will usually take that long on sites like 888? The live import I started a few hours back is still running...we are at almost 5 hours so far for 7k hands...that really cant be it right? Again...can this really happen that updating cache will start will playing so that I cant get any new hands for half an hour?

Just trying to understand whats going on cause the cache update after 5 hands (pic above) took about 45 minutes...no matter how you "justify" that this is not something a player can use while playing so there has to be another solution...i mean..from what you said every player on sites like 888 is having those issues right...so if I understand it correct the only solution right now is to turn off adjusting stakes and do it afterwards?
Messenjupp

Postby Messenjupp » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:55 pm

Also not sure why adjusting session stakes sets in after those 5 hands cause as you can see in the pic it continues to import hands from the same table...so not sure what is happening there.
Attachments
PT4ImportSlow5.jpg
Messenjupp

Postby random » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:29 pm

Here is a suggestion to remove Adjust session stakes at all and dont have users waste any time with it. You already scan lobbies for table tracker. Build lists of tables with number of players on sites where adjusting is needed. Save that list and provide it to users of PT4 who play on those sites.

Maybe you can get some clues from the list of tables if names repeat themself, and if they only show up on one limit/table size. In that case you dont even have to provide live list of tables probably.

GL!
random

Postby WhiteRider » Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:15 am

The development team are discussing the options for how to deal with this - we do intend to optimize several areas of PT4 once we have things stable and working correctly - thanks for the ideas!

Messenjupp wrote:Ok..but what about the hands I imported? Cause I did export all my 888 hands I had on HM2 and those are 1k hands per txt.file...I have not looked through those txt files but I can imagine its easily over ten if not up to 50 different tables depending on what game I play...cause at 6max tables break pretty fast...so what if the first 20 hands I played on a table called "Ivey" and its a nitring table but those 20 hands I play there are 6 players or less....and later the day I start playing at that table again and this time its all 9 handed...and those hands are within the 1k txt file but in the end of the file...so will PT4 go through the whole file and realize Ivey is a 9 handed table or will it only look as far as the next table begins and therfore classify the first 20 hands as 6max?

As I said, it is on a per-session basis - if you leave a table and rejoin more than 30 minutes later or in a different seat that is a different session, so will be treated separately. It has nothing to do with which files the hands are in as that can't be relied on to define sessions (as you see, since you have multiple sessions in these exported files).
WhiteRider

PreviousNext

Return to PokerTracker 4