three questions

Questions and discussion about PokerTracker 4 for Windows

Moderators: WhiteRider, kraada, Flag_Hippo, morny, Moderators

three questions

Postby oblio » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:28 am

1. How do you configure what statistics show up in your "results" and "statistics" tabs?

2. In PT3, you can choose "blinds" for a HUD stat, but in PT4 it seems you can only choose "SB" or "BB." Is there a way to choose "blinds" in PT4?

3. How is "float flop" defined?
oblio

Re: three questions

Postby random » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:20 am

1) Do you mean what stats show in reports under Stats and Results? Right click anywhere in the window (not on the top where stat names are but rather down where data is)>Configure Report.
Or do you mean in the overview on the left side of a graph? Those are not configurable (yet?).

2) I dont think you can. But there are stats like Fold to Steal to which you dont have to specify any position and it will work like that I think.

3) PT4 says:
Percentage of the time that a player bets in position on the flop after the preflop aggressor fails to continuation bet.

Formula: Number of Times Player Float on the Flop / Number of Times Player Could Float on the Flop

Looking at it, isn't floating calling a flop with intention to bet on turn when we are checked to?

Float Turn looks close to this, but it says it looks if villain cbets FLOP ? Shouldnt it say if villain fails to cbet turn?
Percentage of the time that a player bets in position on the turn after the aggressor fails to continuation bet on the flop.

Formula: Number of Times Player Float Bet on the Turn / Number of Times Player Could Float Bet on the Turn
random

Postby oblio » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:42 am

1 - thanks

2 - That's too bad. It would be nice if "blinds" were also an option. I would like a "3bet from blinds" stat, which was much easier to do in PT3.

3 - If that's how floating is defined in PT4, then it's way out of wack. You are correct that floating is calling a bet light with the intention of winning the pot on a later street. Floating does not mean betting when checked to.
oblio

Postby random » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:49 am

2) there are two stats called 3Bet Steal and 3Bet LP Steal which will probably do what you want without having to use a filter.

3Bet Steal
Percentage of the time that a player 3Bet preflop when in a blind and facing an open raise from the cutoff, button, or small blind.

Formula: Number of Times Player 3Bet When Facing Steal / Number of Times Player Could 3Bet When Facing Steal

3Bet LP Steal
Percentage of the time that a player 3Bet preflop when in a blind and facing an open raise from the cutoff or button.

Formula: Number of Times Player 3Bet When Facing Late Position Steal / Number of Times Player Could 3Bet When Facing Late Position Steal

3) Indeed, hopefully someone from PT can comment on float and maybe rethink/fix it.
random

Postby kraada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:08 pm

I see that there is a typo in the Float definition and I'll make sure that gets fixed. For Float Turn it should read:
Percentage of the time that a player bets in position on the turn after the aggressor fails to continuation bet on the turn.

The reason we must use this definition is that we cannot tell when you call the flop continuation bet if you are planning on attempting to take it away on the turn if he shows weakness. We simply can't tell what your intentions are - especially since sometimes you will call to plan to float then not get a chance to do so.

As a result we must count the times when you actually make that bet to take it away as the "float".
kraada

Postby Erlebnis » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:33 pm

kraada wrote:I see that there is a typo in the Float definition and I'll make sure that gets fixed. For Float Turn it should read:
Percentage of the time that a player bets in position on the turn after the aggressor fails to continuation bet on the turn.

Sorry, I might be completely mistaken but I think what you are describing is a float flop.

There might be a difference there between float (call one street to bet another) and a bet vs. missed cbet (which you seem to be describing).

kraada wrote:The reason we must use this definition is that we cannot tell when you call the flop continuation bet if you are planning on attempting to take it away on the turn if he shows weakness. We simply can't tell what your intentions are - especially since sometimes you will call to plan to float then not get a chance to do so.

True. That's why if the PFA cbets turn that hand shouldn't count to the float stat (not even to the opportunity); however, if the player calls the flop in position then bets the turn if the PFA checks, I do believe the flop has been floated - not the turn.

My guess is that misunderstanding could be solved (especially avoiding mistakes and doubt from less experienced players) by changing the term "float" for just "bet vs. missed cbet".

I didn't mess with this enough on PT4 but it could be important to have that stat both IP and OOP (taking into account the OOP bet vs. missed cbet will occur in the following street, i.e., bet turn vs. missed flop cbet).

I do think from the top of my head now that this makes the whole "floating" thing covered in terms of stats, with a simpler language. I might be wrong though, and sorry for writing quickly and not having more time for reflecting on it. You and the other players can just correct me if I'm wrong.

(edited because I had messed up the quotes)
Erlebnis

Postby kraada » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:57 pm

Your "OOP Bet vs Missed Cbet" stats are called Probes in PokerTracker terminology.

I think we just have some semantic issues here - we define the Float street based on the street you made the bet, not the call. Similarly for Probe (so you can only Probe Turn and Probe River, not the flop).

Donks are similarly set based on where you made the bet, but that is standard all around as far as I'm aware.
kraada

Postby random » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:26 pm

if we coldcall pre IP, flop is checked around, and on turn villain checks to us again and we bet, was that a float by PT definition?
random

Postby oblio » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:40 pm

It seems that "floating" in PT4 is essentially defined as "betting vs. missed cbet."

I think "FLOAT FLOP" should be: Percentage of the time that a player bets in position on the TURN after the aggressor fails to continuation bet on the TURN.

and "FLOAT TURN" should be: Percentage of the time that a player bets in position on the RIVER after the aggressor fails to continuation bet on the RIVER.

The problem with all this is that it's difficult to know if player is betting for value or as a bluff, and only the bluffs would be considered true floats. Which is why I was surprised that PT4 has "float" stats at all. Personally I think the "float" stats are confusing/misleading and should be done away with, or at least renamed.
oblio

Postby WhiteRider » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:35 am

random wrote:if we coldcall pre IP, flop is checked around, and on turn villain checks to us again and we bet, was that a float by PT definition?

No - to make a float bet you must have called a c-bet on the previous street.

oblio - this is the way that "float" stats have always worked in PokerTracker, for the reasons that Kraada described.
Having a stat refer to an action which happened on a different street than the name suggests would be more confusing for most people. If you don't think that the float stats are useful then there is no need to use them - we provide many stat options and different ones will be relevant to different people, but you have full control over which stats you view and use in the HUD or reports. The way the float stats are defined in PokerTracker means that they are relevant to the specific situation discussed - they may not be exactly what you think of as a "float", but since you can't actually track that situation accurately this is the definition which makes most sense to most people.
WhiteRider

Return to PokerTracker 4